Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 6 JD's (3 are 3.5-4 inches and 3 are 2.5-3 inches) in a 55 gal tank with two 60 gal rated filters running. I feed them a small amount of omega one cichlid pellets three to four times a week and frozen brine with spirulina once a week and I have live java moss if they want to nibble on that. The only reason I have so many JD's in one tank is Im waiting for them to pair up. Once I get a pair Ill remove the others as they begin to get aggressive.

My large Male "Jack"

My large female "Jill"

The Tank

·
Registered
74 Posts
Don't quote me, I'm by no means any expert but I think you might have a bit too much gravel in that there tank.
Jack and Jill both look great though!

·
Registered
532 Posts
I really, really like Jill. Nice coloring. It does seem like you have alot of gravel, but to each his own; different strokes for different folks. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Yeah the gravel is a bit high. You lose water when there is more inside the tank. So you Polly have a 45 . Any way o recommend switching to pool filter sand. One bag will be plenty for a 55,and should cost less then
$10. Better for fish when they get spawning.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Flippercon said:
Yeah the gravel is a bit high. You lose water when there is more inside the tank. So you Polly have a 45 . Any way o recommend switching to pool filter sand. One bag will be plenty for a 55,and should cost less then
$10. Better for fish when they get spawning.
I've been considering outing a dark maybe even black sand or substrate, I heard it keeps their colors darker. My current substrate is already established with lots of beneficial bacterial. I have several live plants an amazon sword and several clumps of mondo grass wont sand kill seeded vascular (rooted plants)? So should I leave some of the substrate and put the sand on top. whats the best way to go about removing substrate and adding sand without traumatizing the fish or scratching glass?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Not to sure on the plants. You can always pot the plants. If you have bb in your substrate it isn't much. Best way to remove is a dustpan or shop vac. Rinse sand with pillow case and can easily be put in with the pillow case. You are right about the darker substrate. Colored sand is a little more pricey then pfs.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I have PFS in my tank and growing Jungle Val in there and it is doing good.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I was to take out alot of the gravel and then put the sand on top (because I'm cheap and lazy) would that work? Or is it all or nothing?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
You might regret not taking it all out. It's your option. I perfer sand over gravel, but that's me.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok honestly how hard is it to maintain. Gravel is really simple to clean. I mean I do water changes once every week... I read u have to vacuum one a week?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I do 50% wc and vacuums a week. The only tank I have gravel in is my ghost shrimp tank. The other 12 have sane. The difference in maintenance is stirring the sand before vacuum, and be careful when you vacuum not to such the sand up and Syphon out. Other then that its the same.

·
Registered
204 Posts
i find sand is a lot easier to keep clean.
All the gunk just stays on top and doesnt slip inbetween the gravel.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok so my friend is moving and going to GIVE ME a 75 gal tank and all the equipment. So Im thinking Im just gunna fill the 75 with the black sand I was gunna switch over to, and them switch them all over. So, how do i get the sand tank cycled? I had an idea to just do a 50% water change and pour the water I take out into the 75. Any advice on what I should do to switch them over? Also any advice on getting a pair?

I know for a fact I have two 3.5-4in males a 3-3.5in female and a 3in female. Then I have two smaller 2-2.5in males. Should I move them all over or just the larger males and females? and if I eventually get a pair. What can I keep with them?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
All you have to do is put the existing filters,fish,decorations, and a little bit of the existing substrate. You can put the substrate in a bowl so water can flow over it. It is not necessary to move substrate. That's all you have to do. It is called an instant cycle. Your filters now are supporting the bioload so all you have is more water. I would recommend another filter for the extra 25 gallons being added. I have done this from a 29 to a 125 with no problem. Congrats on the free upgrade. Those are always the best.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Sorry I missed something. You can set up the new tank with the new filter, and the old ones. It will pick up the bb and be cycled in a few weeks. The instant cycle is so sweet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Used quick cycle when we switched our JD tank from gravel to pool filter sand, worked great! And I absolutely LOVED the sand, until my leopard sailfin pleco got too big and started wreaking havoc with the tank. He would flip the sand everywhere and it killed both my filters. Cleaning up after him became an almost daily project and too much of a hassle for me to keep up with so we had to switch back to gravel along with a new Marineland C-530 canister filter. Probably would have been easier to keep the sand and get rid of my pleco, but couldn't bear to do it. Good luck with the sand and post a pic, I love to check out other tank setups.

·
Registered
977 Posts
My preference is fine gravel/large sand. I have large black gravel in my JD tank.

I would just use the old filters and half the old water in the new tank and not bother with old substrate. Just make sure the new sub is clean. It would be just like switching substrate and a WC in an existing tank. I've done that a few times.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Problem with the free tank I received #1 it was a 55gal. #2 it was saltwater with a badass black clown and a purple tang and lots of live coral. So needless to say I'm keeping the well established sw tank. Anyways to change from gravel substrate to the black sand what do I need to do? Do the JDs need to be removed while removing the gravel. I know they get pissed/scared when I move decorations. Also surprise I have a 4in. MS crawdad living successfully in the tank for three months now any advice on moving and keeping him with my JDs?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts