Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my JD for about 2 months and he is roughly 3.25 inches now. Well he and my GT went in to my new 55 gallon tank about a week and a half ago. But now he seems really skiddish and shy, he always hides in his log it seems. Before the move he was very active and chased the GT around. He is still beautifully colored and has no damage to his body. The GT is still very active but is not aggressive towards my JD.
Any ideas?
Oh and my tank has the marineland 350 with dual bio wheels, and has plenty of hiding places; ranging from a driftwood setup, to a rock cave formation and fake plants.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Has he been shy since the move or just in the last day or two? What size tank was he previously in?
It's likely that he's still getting used to the new house.
All the same, keep an eye on your water parameters

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He was in a 40 gallon breeder before with the GT, the JD was far more aggressive in the breeder tank and far less skittish. He never ran from me or anything.
He now has been skittish since being moved, and does swim around but runs at any movement. He still can be aggressive towards my GT but seems more accepting. I just don't want him hiding and being afraid of me. The JD is beautiful and I want him to be the fish he use to be. He would interact with me, follow me around, and eat from my hand. But all that is gone.
And my water is in check and I have been watching it.

·
Registered
977 Posts
It's probably just stressed. give it time. Mine have been in the same tank since I got them...they have gotten skiddish the last week or so.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Its the move to the new tank. JDs don't like change. I would say it'll take at least a month before he settles in and start behaving like normal.

You could also skip a day or two of feeding and see if he starts begging for food when you're in front of the tank.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I say he just is not settled in yet. After all he is in a new surrounding.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OOk that makes sense if he doesn't like change, mine got moved twice. Once from the 40 to a 20 gallon, and then into my 55.
Also it seems the are not fond of weather changes. The freaked out all night and hid, then I realized a snow storm came through. I guess they sense weather changes.

·
Registered
977 Posts
mine come to me when I stand there...they know it's feeding time. any other time they take off if there's any sudden movement or someone else walks by.

I usually move all the decor when I do a weekly WC. it goes back the same way, so it's usually no issue for them, but last week I switched items around and that got them started.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts