Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying get a pair for breeding but I need some help sexing my JD's i currently have 5 in a 55 gal tank and i know at least 2 are males, the smaller ones im not sure yet. But One of them is starting to show blotchy spangles on the lower gill plate and not alot of spangles on the body and has been growing at a faster rate than two that were similar size. here's a pic of one i think is a female and a link to a video of my JD's eating some frozen brine shrimp.
I know its not the best pic but the blue spangles you can see are basically the only spangles on this fish.

here's the video link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cJlpCJxUkk

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the females about 2-2.5 in. the two large males are 3 in.
In the video shes on the left the whole time the third largest.
and like i said shes was the size of the smaller ones but shes grown quicker which I heard is normally the case for females.
Ill try and get a better pic tomorrow theyre sleeping lol

·
Registered
37 Posts
I don't think it is possible to reliably sex the fish in the image. You really need to get a close up of the head and gills area to give us a fighting chance. Do that and I'll certainly give it a go!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I saw this fish at petsmart and it was a really pretty what looked to be female. I get it cause she the same size as the alpha male and the next largest male.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
There's a good second picture. You are correct it is a female. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
There's a good second picture. You are correct it is a female. :thumb:

·
Registered
37 Posts
A quality female! :thumb: