Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have a 55 right now with a 6-7" Ebjd I believe is a male,5"BGJD male,and a jd female 4". The BGJD and jd have paired off and established a nest and have been guarding for days. I looks like the females tubes have dropped . My question is how long before I see eggs? I have not been successful with breeding jds this is my first attempt. I have bred smaller cichlids in the past but never jds. My female will come to the center of the tank (all 4" of her and wait) then my Ebjd will come out and they start there dance lip locking and what not. Then my BGJD male comes out and joins the scrap. Is this normal behavior? I seems like the pair is fighting the big ebjd. I have dithers in the tank that have been going one by one each day due to the aggression . I'm not to concerned about the Ebjd because he can hold his own against the two. Am I on the right track here or should I change this up?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I guess I should of waited to post. I left earlier in the day and they spawned . :D

·
Registered
406 Posts
Congrats, the mother of that BGJD used to spawn every 3 weeks and it seems like most of the fish I kept spawn every 3-4 weeks if I don't leave the fry with them.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The BGJD is the male you sent in the last batch. I don't think they've finished yet either. There is somewhere between 100 to 200 eggs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey gratz man I am having the bgjd delivered by jason on thursday so set some time aside for that and also gratz on having non gay fish like myself. Let me know if you need my camera.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah almost Blair project like. :lol:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I came home from work and I have wigglers. :D I tried the whole stalker video thing and the male flared up and starting ramming the glass. This is gonna be so much fun watching these jds raise their fry. Hopefully I have them free swimming soon. :popcorn:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah still wigglers , I'm gonna have to divide the tank or remove the Ebjd. The pair has gotten really mean and they are scrappin with the Ebjd that doesn't want to do anything with them. I got some plexi glass from Hd and I'm gonna cut and drill to seperate .

·
Registered
26 Posts
You could do that or just bring the ebjd to me I will be nice to him lol well the fish should be here any time I will text you when they get here : )

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not sure if there will be any Ebjd . Cool.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Flippercon said:
Yeah still wigglers , I'm gonna have to divide the tank or remove the Ebjd. The pair has gotten really mean and they are scrappin with the Ebjd that doesn't want to do anything with them. I got some plexi glass from Hd and I'm gonna cut and drill to seperate .
When they breed, they get fierce. I had a 7 inch JD liplock and fight off a 10 inch Midas when protecting fry. Once the fry was gone, the midas completely dominated the JD.

I would get the EBJD out of there as soon as possible. It wouldn't take long for a pair to kill a fish.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Mercyx said:
You could do that or just bring the ebjd to me I will be nice to him lol well the fish should be here any time I will text you when they get here : )
Let me know if the fish get there ok.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah I am drilling the holes in the plexi glass right now. Drill died half way there. Will do Jason.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Was referring to the 7 inch as I would like to see him swimming in my new tank of course the one I would get for him haha.

Thanks again Jason , flippercon just left my home with 2 girlies we both thought the 4th jd was a male but time will tell if we both suck at sexing jd's haha

·
Registered
406 Posts
The 4th one could go either way but the mother of that fish looked exactly like that, almost no blue on the gills and very little spangles on the body so I'm thinking its a she.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes the BGJD are once again beautiful. Thanks Jason. Hopefully one of these females will pair up with the big Ebjd. I am considering moving some of my fish in the 125 and dividing it up for breeding.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Flippercon said:
Yes the BGJD are once again beautiful. Thanks Jason. Hopefully one of these females will pair up with the big Ebjd. I am considering moving some of my fish in the 125 and dividing it up for breeding.
If the EBJD is the only male available, they'll pair up eventually. I rearrange my pairs all the time and they always seem to pair up.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts