Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fairly sure that the second pic is male, but clueless on the first pic. Also, if they are both males what are the chances I can keep both in a 55 gal? Thanks!

·
Registered
413 Posts
I say both male. As far as keeping both in a 55 I doubt it very much.

·
Registered
262 Posts
That second one has an awful lot of color on the gill plates to be a male. I'd say it looks to me like you have a male in the first and female in pic 2.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I say two males
The second one has specks on the gell plates but they're not splotches so I say male

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont know if any background information will help or not. I bought them both together not knowing much about cichlids at all (at that point I didnt even know that there were different classification of cichlids). I was starting a "cichlid" tank and bought these guys to go in with a few different africans in a 30 gallon tank. I found this site and started a 75 gallon african tank, and got a 55 for these guys. I focused much of my attention to the african tank. The jacks were never neglected as far as maintenance, but i enjoyed the african tank more. I am now getting bored with the africans and have been spending more and more time watching these guys. I used their tank as the "misfits" tank for fish that didnt get along in my other tanks. I had 2 africans that were 4+", 2 blue gouramis, a 7" pleco, and 5" picus cat. They lived together for about 6 months then they were all killed in 2 days, except the gouramis. So now its just the jacks and gouramis, they dont seem to bother with the gouramis. The jacks were bought as fry at the same size, the darker one is roughly 5-1/2" and the lighter colored one about 4" after a year. Here is an additional pic if it helps - sorry for the bubbles in the photo!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I have to agree that they are both male. #2 has great color ! I'd return #1 cause down the road each will try to claim the tank for themselves. You could try to find #2 a girlfriend , but that'll require a bigger tank.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I'd say both males as well.

I'd return # 1 as well. If you thin out your tank, you could get a female for him if you watch closely. If they pair, the 2 dempseys will be fine but would likely wipe out the rest of your fish.

If they didn't pair up, the male would likely harass the female to much and stress her out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts