Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after about a year hiatus, I have the fish-bug again. I had an old 60 gallon tank laing around and decided to grow out a few Jack Dempseys. So, I put 5 in the tank (all about 2-3 inches) and started feeding and feeding and feeding....

One of the males doubled in size rather quickly, and decided he liked one of the others tank mates....

Fast forward, a few weeks, and they spawned. (I've had them about 5 weeks total) he is about 3.5 inches, and she is about 2.5 inches. (Way to small right?) I figured the eggs she was guarding were going to be infertile. Wrong, all but two or three hatched. (around 250 eggs)

To my question: I transferred about half of them to a 20 gallon bare tank once they free swam, and left the other half with the parents in the 60 gallon. The 20 gallon has a cycled sponge filter and was filled using water from the 60 gallon. The temp is exactly the same. I did 30% water changes daily. Three days after the move, every fry in the 20 is dead!!

I was feeding that powdered fry food while the BBS were hatching, could that have been what killed them? All of the fry in the 60 gallon are doing great.....

What do you think?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Thats strange, was the tank cleaned with any type of soap before you used it? Have you tested the water parameters? Did you have a heater in the tank?

Also another possibility is they didn't take to the powdered food and they all starved. Those are the only things I can think of?

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
How old was the fry food?

PM if you're interested in decapsulated brine shrimp eggs. You'll never hatch brine again.

And no, they are not to small, if they'd been at the fish store too long they might be somewhat small but obviouly mature. Happens more often then you think. Proof is the extrememly small spawn...

How are the fry left with the partents doing? You can feed them your fry food by using a piece of ridgid air line...

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thefishguy- All the fry with the parents are doing great, eating the BBS and swarming the parents. The powdered food is about a year old, think that could be it?

Jason- Tank was clean, water is perfect, yes have heater...lol, I've been breeding for years, just took a short break.

Now to buy a few larger tanks! Baby fish are always a good reason to do that!

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
Food does start to lose it's nutritional value almost instantly unless kept in the freezer only taking out what you might feed over the course of a couple of weeks.

I wouldn't say it killed them but I would say indirectly it did not provide the nutrition that fry desperately need.

In a pinch you can boil and egg and feed mashed up (small amounts) of yolk to fry, but it's so high in protien that it will destroy water quality very very quickly which means water changes need to be performed daily... And for JDs it's not worth it... In my opinion...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts