Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
About a month ago my JDs had their second batch of fry hatch. This time they weren't reluctant parents and did very well to raise pretty much everyone. I separated the fry from the tank about 2 weeks ago after catching most with a homemade "fish catcher" made from a 2 liter bottle. The parents were very aggressive to everyone else in the tank and I feared for them. The fry are now in a 55gal seasoned tank and seem to be doing good. Everyone is in the 1/4 to 1/2 inch range. They are currently being fed the smallest sinking crumb pellets that I could find (mini granules). The tank has a gravel bottom and they seem to stay away from the filter.

I guess I am looking for any suggestions on what I am doing and if there is anything I should change or add. Its my first time attempting to grow babies and just don't know if I am doing anything wrong...

Also, how long should it take before they are at a size to sell? There are currently roughly 50-60 babies in the tank now.

·
Registered
705 Posts
inch range is a good time. glad to hear you left em with the parents and it worked out. i prefer this method myself. also u know ur doing things okay due to little dead-loss. sounds like you did your homework and figured out each step. congrats and hope they keep producing for you.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I agree with around an inch. people want to be able to identify them and its hard to do so smaller than that. i find that a couple water changes a month and feeding brine shrimp and blood worms allows them to grow a little faster

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
To help with over feeding use a turkey baster(Target feeding). You can crush up anything you feed the adults. Live baby brine shrimp is the best IME.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts