Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall, i have 90 gal with a JD, polypterus and FM. I tried keeping them with oscars tiwce but the first was killed (by the jack dempsey i tihnk) and the second i saved and returned when things were getting ugly. My fish still arent more than 3" so it shouldnt be too late to introduce new fish.
My question is what other fish could i keep with this kind of aggressive JD and passive FM and polypterus? I was tihnking 2-3 more fish that max out between 6"-10". Rehoming to a larger tank may be done in around 2 years.
I dont want silver dollars, tin foil barbs or blood parrots.

Thanks for the speedy replies. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Convicts and Texas cichlids. If you are gonna upgrade I would do one of the two. You could get more convicts then Texas in there. Maybe a salvini.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So could i get away with putting one of each now plus maybe one other fish like a jewel or salvini or something similar?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
If you provide sight breaks and places to hide with dithers there should be no problem. The problem may come if a pair forms. It's a 4' tank correct?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes its 4ft and i have dithers already. 4 small schooling rainbows. Theres some drifwood, caves, and a large sunken ship in the form of cover also.
And i was doing some more research and what about a gold severum instead of a texas with a con and jewel?
Any other fish u can suggest would be appreciated too.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
If you go with just one of each you should be fine. Just steer clear of pairs.

·
Registered
228 Posts
do not put a texas in a 90 gallon with anything else texas grow very fast and get mean

may be 90 gallons but thats only the ground space of a 75.....

so you cant really house 5-6 large fish in this tank id say ur very close to ur max right now....

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
justin3p0 said:
do not put a texas in a 90 gallon with anything else texas grow very fast and get mean

may be 90 gallons but thats only the ground space of a 75.....

so you cant really house 5-6 large fish in this tank id say ur very close to ur max right now....
I didn't know the 90 was the same foot print as a 75. I thought the 90 was wider. My bad it must be taller.
Yep you seem maxed out. You would have to move up to a 6' or a wider tank. You could always rehome the fm and get an ebjd if color is what you after.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the 90 gal is deeper and maybe a little taller.and wouldnt the ebjd get bullied by the jd. i heard they were more passive?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Your right I forgot about the aggressive jd. Is it a male or female.

·
Registered
228 Posts
the JD itself is really more on the passive side....

nothing can say u cant put a regular JD with a electric blue....

for EBJDs to spawn u must have one regular blue gene and a EBJD....

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, well they cost like 50$ where im at so ill pass on it for now :p

Ill either go with the severum,con,jewel trio or an oscar and severum.
Im nervous about getting an oscar again tho as the last two i tried have been abused. I'm thinking maybe grow out the oscar in another tank then add it in a couple months?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
why wouldnt you recommend those 3 together?
So can u give me a fish stocking options to help me choose from? because i can get 1000 different fish names but in the end i need a functioning combination. so a couple examples to help me narrow in would be appreciated.

·
Registered
43 Posts
You have a JD, Polyp, and a firemouth in the 48x18 footprint tank? You are maxed out considering how big they will grow.

Where did that other Oscar go?

·
Registered
228 Posts
id say

1-EBJD female
1-JD female
1-oscar

and oscar can get 14-16 inches and some can be very mean

my last albino oscar wouldnt allow any fish in my 140 gallon tank so...

·
Registered
78 Posts
FYI..dont put a Jewel in there...we had to move ours as it kept ripping the tail of our slightly smaller Firemouth :x ...we are also looking to house maybe one other fish with our JD and FM combo.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ya i didn't. Instead i got a severum and con. The severum is great but the con is a little devil. He picks fights with the FM and he and the severum are mortal enemies.

·
Registered
105 Posts
How about this guy for a tankmate.

He gets along well with a mating pair of 4 inch JD's, an emperor tetra and a Featherfin Catfish.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts