Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put in a female JD "Jill" in my 55gal tank with my Male "Jack". They almost immediately started doing the lip locking tail slapping breeding ritual. after like 2 hours Jill is spent she is now hiding at the top of the tank in the corner. do I need to be concerned that she might get overstressed?
Heres a pic so you can see the couple. Sorry for the bad quality.

Jack

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I looked for the blue spangles on the lower gill plate. the male spangles stop at just below the eye. the females go all the way to bottom of the gill and bunch up on bottom of gill. They are both still young, about 3-3.5 in. I have since put a make shift divider in the tank to give the female a deserved rest. any advice on convincing her to pair.

The best pick I could get without scaring the heck outta her.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I'm not sure that's a female. Mine have larger spangles..not just dots. But if it's a she... the separation will help as will rearranging the tank to establish new territories.

Posted this in another thread...
One of mine that I thought was a female when I got it...similar to yours...

now...

Vented it last weekend and I'm pretty sure it's a colourful male.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess i could be wrong but out of a batch of 12 this is the only one that had spangles on the bottom of gill. and the only one that was hiding similar to what *** read on female behavior. Anyways Im still going to get the divider, and Im gunna get more pics so yall can tell me.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess i could be wrong but out of a batch of 12 this is the only one that had spangles on the bottom of gill. and the only one that was hiding similar to what *** read on female behavior. Anyways Im still going to get the divider, and Im gunna get more pics so yall can tell me.

·
Registered
406 Posts
jegrego1 said:
and the only one that was hiding similar to what I've read on female behavior.
Just out of curiosity where did you read that hiding is a female behavior? Plus if you do try to get another female JD, look for one with big blotches of blue on the lower gill plate not just dots.

Also if you can't tell and all the fish look similar, get the one with the least amount of blue dots on the body.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Yours look both male.

Sorry to post so many vids but its so much easier than 100 stills to get one good one :)

Here is my 4" female with typical markings

....Bill

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.