Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm guessing it's not a good idea?

My JD is a juvie, 1.5-2". Just got it about 2 weeks ago. It's already grown despite being quarantined in a 20g. (I thought it was male, judging by the pointed fins; however, looking at the fat spotting below the gill plates, I would say female.)

The JD seems to have a taste for fresh fish--is this normal for JDs? My JD effectively and relentlessly hunts the baby down (feeder babies from my Mbuna).

When I left it alone for a weekend, took out the one platy I had in there (temporarily). Now I think one of the cories is missing. Should I move the other 3?

·
Registered
532 Posts
A few years ago, I had a juvie Jack Dempsey. They're great communtiy fish when they are too young to cause any real damage, but once they mature watch out! My JD took out almost the entire tank! He even killed and chewed up my 4 inch red tail black shark!

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hm...So maybe my tetras will be on the menu too. I figure she'll go after them last since they school and group together. The cories are more harmless and slow.

I can move them, but which tank would be best?

55g: 1 female GT (4"), 1 male Con (3"), 3 pictus, 1 BN pleco, 4 tiger barbs
29g (tall): mated pair of Cons, 1 BN pleco (cons killed the other BN), 1 oto
10g: Mbuna fry tank (all fry are size of pinky nail or smaller)--will cories eat them? Mom is still in there fattening back up (1.5")
5g: Con fry (biggest is .5" all others are smaller)

·
Registered
620 Posts
Cories won't eat your fry, my cories share a tank with RCS and the shrimp crawl all over them without the cories even trying anything. Except maybe shake the shrimp off if one of them gets too clingy :)

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice Chris thanks!

I just remember cories have spines in their dorsal fin...I hope the JD doesn't try, or both will probably die.

PS- Just found the 4th cory today! Seems it was hiding in a mess of java moss :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts