Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,658 Posts
Nice work Andy!
That's a good-looking pair of Jaguars, in a great-looking aquarium. :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I've put a lot of work into getting it ready. I'm really pleased that all the fish are so happy with the change in both tanks.

·
Premium Member
4,658 Posts
Yes, that is indeed some good aquarium set up work Andy.
- But -
Before your head swells out to some rather alarming proportions, potentially causing you all sorts of problems.... :p
Let's do some questions!
1) Uhhhh, dooood... background much? Is this just a 'thing' with all of your tanks, and it's like well, "Keep it moving folks. Nothing to see here!" Or, are there plans to install some sort of background on the backs of your tanks?
2) Sump filtration noise. Your older, re-purposed reef tank has some pretty 'old school' items and configurations in it's set up. Is the noise of it produced in running mode, proven to be a problem? or, is it actually not so bad?
3) The pump discharge, inline canister filter. Talk about 'old school'? Whew.... How did you ultimately set that canister filter up internally? Did you just blast out the pleated filter, and stick it back in? Or, go with all filtration foam? The pleated filter will work great to provide a lot of mechanical (water polishing) filtration. But, if it has to be blasted with a pressurized garden hose periodically to clean it? Well.... it won't work so hot as an additional source of biological filtration.
4) Submersible Electric Heater? Be careful! A few years back, I lost a very expensive Siamese Tigerfish, (Datnioides pulcher) at over a foot in length when that knucklehead decided to 'engage' a submersible electric heater placed in his tank. The 'target' was most definitely serviced.... And yes, he won the Battle (Destroyed heater). But, he most definitely lost the War (Died a day later). To address this potential problem, a smaller submersible heater will probably fit down inside the sump. Or, you can go in-line with something rigged on the discharge side. I do not recommend leaving the exposed, electric submersible heater in your aquarium much longer, with that pair of Guapote's. :oops:
-
Otherwise, it's looking good for those Jaguars in there. Visibly there is definitely a lot more room! You will probably be able to keep them in that tank for a couple years, until the male gets well over a foot in length. Once he gets more and more grumpy with the female, you'll know it's time to move them both into that 6-foot long tank.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input, as always. I'll address your comments in order-

1. It actually has a black background now- used to just see the wall through it. I went to all black backgrounds on all my tanks.

2. With the hood on it, the sound is actually very minimal- no plans on changing anything to make it quieter.

3. Old canister filter- I bought pond filtration foam and matrix rock. On Sunday, I'll be making it into a layered setup going foam on bottom, rock in middle, foam on top. I think you may have been the one who suggested something like that. I may have pieced several suggestions together though, I don't remember anymore.

4. I also do plan on moving those submersible heaters into the sump. I'll probably do that this Sunday during water change and setting up the canister really. I have to take out all the bioballs in order to do it, so I've been putting it off lol.

·
Premium Member
4,658 Posts
Yer' on the money Andy. 8)
To summarize?
1) And yes, what I initially mistook for electrical cords, I can see now are airline hose going down in to those rocks. Very cool.
2) Glad you're happy with it. Sumps are one of those filtration noise things that people can live with and be okay with - or not. Yours might be just a bit quieter than some of the DIY older stuff that I started out with.
3) If you can.... I would recommend just going with all Matrix rock for your canister filter. To do that, you will need to kit it up with a decent sized, flow-through mesh bag (like I have now with my two remaining canister filters). Mechanical filtration for the bio media is provided courtesy of a large pre-filter placed on each canister intake.
4. Remove Electric Submersible Heaters from aquarium? = GOOD. Let mean ol' Guapote's have a go at it? = BAD.
-
Nice work Andy, and please keep posting up pics. They're awesome! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts