Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm having trouble figuring out my jag and 2 jacks eating habits. All they do is hide all day everyday and even when I feed them they still don't come out very often. But it seems like they're constantly eating different. One or two days they might eat floating food then they won't go nowhere near the surface so I'll give them sinking food and they'll eat off bottom for a couple days then they won't touch it and I'll have to feed them floating again, I've mixed the foods putting sinking and floating in together but they will only eat one or the other when I do that and I end up having to remove uneaten food. This is really weird to me, they weren't like that when they were smaller. I feed them Hikari cichlid gold floating and sinking pellets, Hikari bio gold pellets, and then they get krill, frozen massivore cubes, bloodworms and brine shrimp a couple times a week. Maybe their getting bored with their food, so I am gonna order some different food from kensfish.com and try it. Any thoughts????

·
Registered
228 Posts
CA and SA cichlids tend to be picky eaters and like it switched up.

I i had an oscar that would only eat blood worms and live food nothing else.

also ho long have u had them they could be shy yet

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The jag is probably 4", maybe a little bigger. One jack is about the same and the other is just shy of that. I've had them since they were less then an inch, about 8 mos. They've been together in same tank the whole time. They didn't use to be shy or a pain to feed. They always seem to get a bit more excited when I feed live food, so I'm hoping maybe a change in food will help.

·
Registered
228 Posts
try giving them blood worms or frozen shrimp as a treat a few times a week.

that way they are getting something else a few times a week

and im not sure if this works or not but i change the type of pellet i buy after every bag

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
First I think they are shy due to not much traffic outside the tank. The issue with the picky eating may be from one fish following the other.

·
Registered
192 Posts
My two cents (that's all it's worth)

First: take in consideration the nature of the fish. Jags and Jacks are not APEX predators in their natural environment and even though yours where born in captivity they are hard-wired to be ambush predators as a survival instinct. So they will come out when they want....I've found that my Jacks are more active when the lighting (inside and outside of the tank) is low.

Second: the tank and surrounding environment. If your tank has the plenty of hiding spots (from the other fish and light) then it supports their natural inclination to hide. Furthermore, if your tank is next to a TV or stereo speakers or in a room that is lit all day or dark all they and you walk in and make an immediate change to their environment (i.e. cut the lights on to feed them or the tv is blasting while you're trying to feed them) they will dart away for some time because they need to acclimate to the change.

Third and finally: feeding habit. I've found that my Jag has no problem with feeding at the surface but it’s the dart from a cave and hit the target and back down again. My Jacks would feed from the surface when they were younger (hungrier) but now they pretty much only eat sinking food and they won't even go after pellets if they're not falling in their vicinity. I used to worry but now I don't bc they're still alive so they are eating something! just not when I want them to eat so I assume it's at night when everything is quiet. So I always throw food in the tank before I go to bed. If you want to change their feeding habits then stop feeding them for a day or two and they will eat the next very time you feed them and it shouldn’t matter what it is. You can change their feeding cycle (just like raising a puppy). However, I will say this.....if you feed them to much yummy food (live or frozen treats) then they will pass on the pellets because the other stuff just flat out tastes better plus they know your cycle so they can wait a day for good stuff instead of some pellet. (Much like little ****.sapiens if I don't have to eat the healthy food then I won’t)

Hopefully, I helped. I'm in no way trying to be condescending I'm simply trying to share what I've learned in my fish rearing process. So my recommendation is to stop feeding them for two days or so then go with pellets for at least a week (more the better) and lay off of the yummy food….maybe once a week after you get them back on pellets.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I was pretty much thinking the same thing, they don't get live foods very often, usually only once a week, and one day a week they don't get fed. I changed their tank a little and have them less hiding spots and they actually seem a little spunkier then normal. Actually swimming around the tank more. So may e it'll help with the feeding too, new food should be here Tues so we'll see.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts