Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

For the last couple of weeks, the fish in the photo has not been eating (depth perspective makes him look smaller in the photo than he is). He spends nearly all of his time hiding in a cave. For context, he is my largest (maybe 2nd largest) fish at about 4.5” in a tank that has next to no aggression. Peacocks, haps, labs & rusties. Maybe not the best combo long term, but they are all pals so far. Tank is 6 weeks stocked, cycled for 5 weeks prior. He’s been with me for 5 weeks.

0 amonia, 0 nitrite, 20-40 nitrate, 12 dGH, 12 dKH, 78 F, 8.2 pH, 150 gallon, 6ft long.

I dosed with PraziPro yesterday as per bottle instructions. He’s not eating, so I didn’t bother dosing food. Anyway, today he has been significantly more active. I soaked their Northfin cichlid pellets in Garlic Guard today in the hopes that would entice him to eat, especially given the increased activity. No dice.

Any thoughts? FYI, I haven’t seen him poop. Also, he seems to be scared of me! All the other 25 fish come to greet me when I approach the tank, but he goes & hides. That may be part of why he isn’t eating, but I have seen pellets fall right past his face.

Bedrock Insect Arthropod Wood Terrestrial animal

Water Blue Natural environment Fin Organism

Thanks for any input.

·
Administrator
41,672 Posts
Try removing the rusties and see if that makes him better. Are any of the peacocks red or do you have other jakes?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Try removing the rusties and see if that makes him better. Are any of the peacocks red or do you have other jakes?
No one else looks like him. I have an Otter Point Jake (I think), as well as a bicolor 500 & sunshine. The latter two are 3”. Like I said, he suddenly seems unafraid and has been quite active since the meds. The only fish he seems remotely affected by has been the other Jake. Perhaps his reemergence is a coincidence & this is not a parasite, or if it is then what does a recovery looks like? Does activity precede appetite?

I don’t have a way to pull anyone at the moment. I could throw together a 5 gallon quarantine tank I suppose, since I have an empty rectangular 5g. Or I could run out & buy a 10 & stick some of my 150g media in an HOB for it. The rusties have been oblivious to all the others & vice versa. They are small still.

·
Administrator
41,672 Posts
I would remove (rehome) the rusties and the jake. Many fishkeepers will stock only one jake/tank.

·
Registered
48 Posts
How long have you been using the same food, from the same container? Sometimes, open containers start going rancid before you can finish feeding from the container you have. A picky fish may not eat this. Especially, if you keep the food sitting out at room temp.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Food is new, 6 weeks old. He won’t eat frozen brine shrimp either.

Today for the first time in two weeks he showed interest in food. He attacked the pellets & frozen brine shrimp with everyone else and went nosing around in the sand for fallen pellets, but…he didn’t eat anything!

I need to reiterate that there is NO aggression at all in the tank. Since medicating for parasites he has become active again. And today another step towards normalcy. So I do think the meds are affecting him. Still, not eating. Everyone else eats fine.

i guess i will try to put him in a quarantine tank now. Not sure what else to do.

·
Administrator
41,672 Posts
Most hobbyists do not see aggression, even though it is there. His hiding position means he is afraid of something. Good idea to put him in quarantine...see if he is out and about more without tank mates. Or he could be afraid because he has no tankmates.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did not quarantine, but am happy to report he’s eating again! Finally. I’m going to chalk this up to parasites. Been six days since dosing. Five days of improvement in demeanor until I saw him aifting sand this afternoon. Sure enough, he attacked & ate pellets when fed soon after. I’ve heard you should dose again in 2 weeks in case there were eggs. Has anyone any experience with this?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I did not quarantine, but am happy to report he’s eating again! Finally. I’m going to chalk this up to parasites. Been six days since dosing. Five days of improvement in demeanor until I saw him aifting sand this afternoon. Sure enough, he attacked & ate pellets when fed soon after. I’ve heard you should dose again in 2 weeks in case there were eggs. Has anyone any experience with this?
Hi!!😃😃
Good, good!!😃😃
Also, I'd like to offer a simple thing that you may offer as food: feeder shrimp (live) and frozen blood worms both very good for your babies!😃
We ALWAYS feed a large variety diet to all of our babies and we have 8 aquariums; just an idea!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi!😃
Yes!! You must let me know how your experience goes; okay?
I finally broke down and bought one of those kits and told myself that I'm smarter than this frickin kit. I can do this; right? I make sure that I follow the directions and my 1st go around was awesome! I'm like, 'I did it' and shoved them into Huff-Puff's cage, our Leopard Spotted Puffer... I sigh, clean it out and try fresh again anddd...zilch! Nooo-thing...sooo I cleaned it up, let it dry out and mumbled, ' Your are not driving me crazy!' 😂😂😂
Maybe if you have luck, you can let me know what I did wrong?

·
Administrator
41,672 Posts
I used newly hatched brine shrimp to raise calvus fry...it worked fine.

·
Super Moderator
5,820 Posts
Refrigeration or even freezing pelleted or flake fish foods is recommended for keeping them, to ensure they will remain as fresh, safe-to-eat and nutritious as possible. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts