Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like my lemon jake, but I'm starting to think the jacobfreibergi are just too aggressive to work in an all male setup. I had to get rid of my rubescens, not a jacob, but a 'man made' variation of an aulonocara, maybe the line breeding made them more aggressive? I did lose an otter point jacob to this rubescens and I almost lost a walteri to the lemon, luckily I got him in a quarantine tank in time though. However, now that the walteri is out the lemon is taking it to my lwanda and anything else he decides to. It's crazy how stocks work for months and seemingly over night someone starts taking a beating. I'm ready to move him, just wanted to hear other experiences of jacobs in all male setups.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have not had an adult jake of any variety in my all male tank, but I have heard stories about them being a pain. That said, every tank is different.

In your case, I would quarantine the lemon jake and see if everything settles down.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I tried keeping "the trinity" in the same tank, and failed like many others. Lemon, Lwanda, & Otter Point. I even had a Eureka Red in the mix. Many ruby reds and eureka reds sold are jacobfreibergi. Once the boys are full-colored, someone always ends up rehomed.

How large is your tank? I had the guys in a 125g and eventually rehomed the Lemon, Otter Point, and Eureka Red. Pick your favorite Jake and stick with him, you should be fine after that.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right now, its a 110 tall, so the footprint is rather small. Will be a standard 150 as soon as I can make the swap.

I only have one jake now, the lemon. He's picking an a walteri and lwanda. They do have similar yellowing patterns though, so that's probably why.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Your Lemon Jake and Lwanda are jacobfreibergi (jakes). They will eventually kill each other in a small tank. The Walteri is most likely lowest on the totem pole. He resembles the Lwanda so he probably gets the worst beatings. Even if you upgrade to a 6' tank, I'm pretty sure your Lemon Jake will focus on on of them an eventually eliminate one of the guys. Keep an eye out on the weaker guys.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nlui220 said:
Your Lemon Jake and Lwanda are jacobfreibergi (jakes). They will eventually kill each other in a small tank. The Walteri is most likely lowest on the totem pole. He resembles the Lwanda so he probably gets the worst beatings. Even if you upgrade to a 6' tank, I'm pretty sure your Lemon Jake will focus on on of them an eventually eliminate one of the guys. Keep an eye out on the weaker guys.
That's been my experience thus far. It's the Lemon that seems to start it all, so he'll be the first out the door. Thankfully, I got 6 tanks moved out of the office today and am now ready to swap these fellas into the 150 once I have time to make the move.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I've got a 6.5" lemon jake and a 6" Otter point jake both in a 6' long 150 with my big male haps and mbuna. Also have a dragons blood peacock about the same size and a slightly smaller Benga. The two jakes flex at each other from time to time, but it never comes to blows.

In my 125, I've got a bunch of male peacocks as well - mostly around the 4-5" range: benga, Otter Point, bi-color, Lemon jake, lwanda, maylandi, Cobwe, saulosi, red-shoulder and a couple of OBs. Same deal, you get occasional flexing, but no real aggression.

It's tough to get jakes to be friendly in a 4' footprint. Tried multiple jakes before in a 75 and a 110 with no dice. Large bengas can also turn into real turds.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts