Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I've always had and raised africans but about a year ago I set up a 55g tank with 4 JD and now they have bred. The rock is covered with eggs! Can anyone tell me the incubation time?

thanks

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
cant believe nobody knows the answer to this!

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
LMAO...got ants in your pants there?! j/k (I'd be excited too!) :p
First off, congrats on the spawn.
Plan on the eggs turning into wigglers after about 2-3 days, followed by another few days of the wiggler stage. Expect to have free-swimming fry about 7-10 days after the eggs have been laid. These times can very based on temperature and other factors, so I can't narrow it down for you any more than that! :wink:

Good luck with them, and keep us posted! :thumb:
BV

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks big vine, ya I was a little excited.
They have already hatched and the parents are doing a great job so far protecting them.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
In my experience JD eggs usually take 3 days to hatch… then are wigglers for 3 days… then over the course of about 36 hours learn to swim and are (what I consider) free swimmers…

Congratts and best of luck…

Have you decided what to do with the offspring?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
very interesting to watch the parents tending the fry. Both parents are actively involved, and they are constantly moveing the fry from spot to spot in the tank. They have all these depressions in the sand and they will pick the fry up and move them to a new hole every few hours.

I've hatched some Baby brine shrimp and have squirted some down to the babies....cant tell if they are eating or not.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
If the fry are still "wigglers"... meaning they just sit on the substrate and wiggle their little tails... then they still have a yolk sac attached to them. At this stage they do not eat anything from the environment and get all of their nutrients from the yolk sac...

As soon as they become free swimming they will need food from an outside source... that source being you...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts