Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
65 Gallon tank
Hi :) The other day I got a 7 1/2 inch Jack Dempsy and put it in my tank With my 9 inch Osacar my Oscar (expected) chased him with his mouth open and the Jack Dempsy hid behind a rock so I was wondering how long will it take for them to tolerate each other? :-?
P.s.The Jack Dempsy has tried to come out of hiding but my Oscar chased him. :?
P.s.s. they have not done any physical harm to each other
P.s.s.s.I rearanged the tank 1 day prior to getting the Jack Dempsy so my Oscar would be a bit confused about territory :lol:

·
Registered
113 Posts
i had a successful tank with oscar and dempsey BUT was in 90 gallon and fish were together a lot sooner...when both were 3 inches...never had a problem......

·
Registered
204 Posts
the Oscar may not ever tolerate him, that's the risk when u add another cichlid of similar size, when the Oscar had already established the whole 65 as his own.

This may work in a larger tank, but chances are slim in the 65.

·
Registered
406 Posts
A 65 gallon is only 36 x 18 footprint correct? I would think long term that tank is too small for the Oscar alone much less both fish. Also the JD is at a disadvantage since he's new the to tank. If you want him to have a chance you'll need to take both fish out and rearrange the tank so it's new to both fishes and then reintroduce both of them. Make sure you set it up with lots of sight breaks so either fish can hide from the other.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts