Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new rescue. Picked this guy up for free from a local place free of charge. Took him out of a cramped, overstocked tank and gave him a home all his own. He clearly appears to be a male (but I'm always open for correction). I have yet to name him. Around 6 inches in length and very well adjusted to his new home.
Much like my Texas cichlid page I'll be using this thread to document his growth and changing.
Underwater Water Organism Fish Marine biology
Water Fin Organism Underwater Fish

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
No correction needed sir! I also believe that is indeed a very nice male Jack Dempsey Cichlid, Rocio Octofasciatus, you have. I assume he'll also be kept as another 'wet pet', in yet another 55 gallon aquarium?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No correction needed sir! I also believe that is indeed a very nice male Jack Dempsey Cichlid, Rocio Octofasciatus, you have. I assume he'll also be kept as another 'wet pet', in yet another 55 gallon aquarium?
Yes indeed! I should have photographed the tank I got him from. It was more or less a cichlid tank of all sizes and species. Bare bottom with no areas of rest or retreat. I think it took him a few days to process his new quiet home full of caves, plants and space for himself.
he’s incredibly aggressive to any movement outside the tank and actively goes after his neighbor fish next to his tank on either side whenever they come close.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Understood. CA Cichlids do not naturally come from such environments like you describe. They're just not phsychologically equipped to handle it. So, I suspect he will (like a lot of us), be dealing with a case of 'PTSD' from that experience for well.... a while.
But, I personally would keep him next to your Hericthys in the other tank. Those knuckleheads are gonna display at each other and work off some steam biting at the glass and doing other such displays and visual acts of territorial aggression. Harmless stuff! It will keep 'em colored up nicely for you. And, will keep your JD from possibly sulking in a dark cave somewhere invisibly in the tank.
-
NOTE: IF your Hericthys is mostly a (all?) Pearl Scale, Hericthys carpintis male? It would - probably - stock well with the JD in a six foot long tank. Heck man, if you stock a nice group of 12-16, 4 to 6 inch long (adult-sized) Nasty Tetras (Astyanx fasciatus 'Mexicanus') in that big, community tank first? You could probably stock with the two CAs in there (placed in at the same time) with NO casualties from anyone! But.... thats just NOT gonna happen if you actually have a 'true' Texas Cichlid, Hericthys cyanoguttatus. Those thugs just don't play nice with anyone (even in the wild!). :oops:

Reactions: Central

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Understood. CA Cichlids do not naturally come from such environments like you describe. They're just not phsychologically equipped to handle it. So, I suspect he will (like a lot of us), be dealing with a case of 'PTSD' from that experience for well.... a while.
But, I personally would keep him next to your Hericthys in the other tank. Those knuckleheads are gonna display at each other and work off some steam biting at the glass and doing other such displays and visual acts of territorial aggression. Harmless stuff! It will keep 'em colored up nicely for you. And, will keep your JD from possibly sulking in a dark cave somewhere invisibly in the tank.
-
NOTE: IF your Hericthys is mostly a (all?) Pearl Scale, Hericthys carpintis male? It would - probably - stock well with the JD in a six foot long tank. Heck man, if you stock a nice group of 12-16, 4 to 6 inch long (adult-sized) Nasty Tetras (Astyanx fasciatus 'Mexicanus') in that big, community tank first? You could probably stock with the two CAs in there (placed in at the same time) with NO casualties from anyone! But.... thats just NOT gonna happen if you actually have a 'true' Texas Cichlid, Hericthys cyanoguttatus. Those thugs just don't play nice with anyone (even in the wild!). :oops:
His neighbors..
I'm still uncertain of my Texas cichlids actual identity. The more research I do, the more questions I seem to have rather than answers. As he/she grows though I am hopeful I'll have a better understanding of what specifically he is.
Funny enough, he was labeled a 'jack dempsey' when I purchased him. I think we're safe to rule that one out...
Marine invertebrates Underwater Organism Fish Fawn Plant Botany Nature Leaf Organism

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
An updated image. Not much growth or change since last time but he's thriving. And yes I'm well aware the background is upside down -_-
Water Plant Green Fin Organism

1 - 7 of 7 Posts