Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a couple Jacks about 4 months ago from 2 different fish stores. I did not have the intent to bread but got a male and female. I did my research on these fish and figured even if I get a male and female the chances are low. Well within a month the had my 55gl floor covered. I did not have another tank at the time and we lost them all in a couple of days. I have other Cichlids in the 55 as well. I have since set up a 50 corner tank for the Jacks. They have since had babies again and are now about 3 weeks old. I have had to doors research since now I have babies. The mother and father are great parents but the will eventually eat the offspring when they get big enough. So I set up a 20 long for all the babies. I have about 200 in the 20 with still 100-150 in the 50. I have red lava rock in the tanks so it is almost impossible to get the babies out they just go under the rocks. My question to this long post is. Is there any way to tell when she is getting close to pop or even full? So I can move here to the 20 before she has them.

Any help would be much apricated.

In case anyone would like to know. Jacks color comes from their environment. Dark colors they will be dark light colors they will be light. So fir my corner tank I painted the back 2 walls a sky-blue. I have red lava rocks for the floor and larg lava rock for the coves to hide in as well as some full green plants with white flowers ( all fake plants the Jack's will uproot or eat any live plants). This makes the Jack's a black fish with blue, yellow, and gold colors just a gorgaus color in the fish. When they where in my 55 it is done in a natural setting so it's all dark except for the live
plants, they where black and brown all the time. So if u want ur Jacks to be full of color use light colors and lots of different ones to bring it out in the Jack.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
The female will hide a bit more then usual and she will turn that jet black color. I mean super black only the brown at her top will show.

·
Registered
204 Posts
You may also notice she has dug pits. Her stomach might be a bit bigger then normal and her tube may be sticking out if she has laid already

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys. I have seen all this behavior before from her. Would it be safe to move her out at that point and let her have them in my baby tank? I have read a few different forms this one seems to have the most info for me. In reading the other forms they say that Jack's will lay eggs and algi eaters will eat them at night. I have never seen the eggs. They also say to leave a flat surface for them to lay the eggs on. I did this the 2nd time she had them but never saw eggs. I even had it in the center of the tank with good cover. Could only see from the front of the tank. I have read they give live birth as well. Since I have not seen the eggs I am assuming they give live but can anyone confirm that for me?
Thanks aging for all the help.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
No jds lay eggs. She needs the male to fertilized the eggs. And yes bottom feeders will sneak in at night and snack on eggs and wigglers. I use clay pots and they usually choose this for the spawning site. What else do u have in the tank? I usually house my jd pairs in 55g 4' tanks with the pair and dithers only.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Like flipper said, JD's lay eggs and require a male to fertilize the eggs.
If you have other rocks or decor they may choose other spots to their liking to spawn even though you have tried to set up a spot for them.

My pair spawns between 4 rocks and under a piece Of driftwood.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nothing else in the tank with them I bought a 50 corner about 6 weeks and they had the 2nd batch in there.

I had all my fish in a 55gal but the Jack's beat up the others bad when the babies came.
I have in the 55 now
Electric Yellow x2 female
Convict x2 female
High Fin Peco
Redtail Shark
Parrot Fish
Electric Blue
Bumble Bee
Gourami 1 blue 1 red
They all get along well no that the Jacks are out. Before the babies I had all them fish but the 2 gourami and the parrot fish with the Jack's and had no problems. Everyone I talk to say don't mix them they will fight all the time but they have made a great school of fish together.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was trying to put my tanks up using my phone but the site won't let me add the pics from my phone so I will get them up by tonight.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Supragsx said:
I was trying to put my tanks up using my phone but the site won't let me add the pics from my phone so I will get them up by tonight.
If you have an adroid based phone you can download the Photobucket app and copy the links after you download. That's how I do all my post on this forum, pics and all.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did it through my computer about 2 hours ago. I have a iPhone 4. I am sure I could do it that way as well with this. I have never done it though so it's just easier to do it from the computer.Thanks for all the help the pics should be up by tomorrow night. My male is light in color right now, I did a 50% water change a day ago and he doesn't like it when I do that for some reason. I think I will have to stick with just doing 25% from now on.

·
Registered
625 Posts
With an iPhone, download the picup app. Upload the pictures to imgur then paste the direct link between the tags. That's what I do. :thumb:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts