Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is some basic information I need to know about getting some Jack Dempseys. Like what is the best ones I can pick out? Would 2 go into a 55 gallon with 5 convicts (1 breeding pair) and a green terror? What can I look for to get one male and one female? etc. Any information would be greatly appreciated:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
That's way overstocked for a 55 gallon. If you want to do a breeding pair that's about all you can put in a 55 gallon. Females are smaller and usually have more rounded fins. The females will also have a large amount of blue on their gill plate and around their eyes. Males are larger with more pointed fins. They are generally more colorful and will have bright speckles along the entirety of their bodies. There are of course exceptions to these rules and if you have a good lfs they should be able to help you sex them. I know it's tempting to overstock the tank, I'm newer to cichlids and have learned the hard way overstocking leads to dead fish or multiple trips to the store to return fish. I think you should either go for a pair of jds or if you want a variety then no jds at all because there isn't much you can put with them in a 55.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
If you have a breeding pair of cons a jd might make it in the tank. The green terror needs to go in any case unless you remove the other fish. You have to think in full grown when stocking. You could do a pair of jds in a 55. If you really want jds buy 6 juvies and remove all other fish and watch for pairing and remove the rejected ones. Then you will have s pair of jds.

·
Registered
25 Posts
All the fish you dont keep should go back to the lfs.
Options with the fish you have include
Gt all alone
Pair of jds alone
Pair of convicts and maybe the jd( this could end in disaster though)

In my 60 gallon i have a convict, a salivini, and a severum. They all get along however one day my severum may have to be rehomed as they get large. In a four foot tank if you want a community of cichlids you have to stick to the smaller ones. Look into keyholes, rams, and Apistos.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts