Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,870 Posts
Welcome to Cichlid-forum!
And, it looks like you have a male JD to me.
-
How long has the white bump been on this fish? Something new? It looks like a spot that is healing over some mechanical damage (ran into something?). I would keep an eye on it, and if it clears up on its own within a 5 - 7 days, there are no problems.
But, if it's still there after that, and/or possibly getting worse? Then there may be some stronger measures required to get this Cichlid back on a healthy track again for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It recently appeared, and he doesn’t seem to have any issues at all, he eats and swims all day no problem, does have a deformity on his mouth but I think that happened when he was young and perfect I could never tell if he was female or male

·
Premium Member
4,870 Posts
Well then. Please tell us how you are keeping this Rocio octofasciatus, Jack Dempsey.
  • Tank Size?
  • Tank Mates? (any?)
  • Filtration?
-
And, it would be great if you could share a full picture of your aquarium with this Cichlid. Would that say a thousand words? Why, yes! :cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
100 gallon long tank, filtration is one penguin pro 375 and a emperor pro 450 , tank mates are electric blue acara, peacock cichlid, blood parrot, everyday run of the mill African cichlid and a pleco
Water Property Plant Organism Interior design

·
Premium Member
4,870 Posts
Whoa now.... :oops:
-
Alrighty then. Shall we grade this out?
  • Size of aquarium: Outstanding
  • Fish stocking: Satisfactory
  • Filtration/Equipment: Outstanding
  • Aesthetics/Decor: Marginal
-
As follows:
  • Size of tank: You don't disclose the actual dimensions (L"XW"XH") of this tank. But, you don't have to. I believe this aquarium is stocked with the fish it can comfortably hold.
  • Stocking: Minus for the Blood Parrot (Science Produced Genetic/deformed Hybrid). Plus, subtract for the wide geographic variance in Cichlid species. But, your stocking scheme should ultimately work.
  • Filtration/Equipment: Just ONE of those HOB filters would provide sufficient biological filtration for this tank. The doubled up effort, combined with the dual water flow is good. The two air stones added, make the filtration effort for this aquarium outstanding.
  • Aesthetics/Decor: You need More. MORE! By that, I mean more structure. Let's see more of those plastic plants, that go all the way up to the surface of this tank. Rocks. Big Ones! I suggest Mountain Lace type. But there are a host of other good ones to consider. And, adding more rocks and tall plants will bring down the aggression in that tank a LOT, if you put in those things to help break up sight lines.
-
Otherwise, I like this tank. The black sand is pretty nice, but you do need to slope that level up higher towards the back. The bog wood pieces you have in there are REALLY NICE. Working those in with some nicely shaped rocks and those artificial plants, will visually take this aquarium up another level.
(Plus, get some doors closed over that industrial stuff, shown down below the tank).
You'll be, good-to-go. :cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for your feed back, I eventually want to go with a canister filter less maintenance and aesthetically looks better, as for the doors on the stand I’m still in the process of making them as the whole stand is custom made and I do like the idea of adding rocks and more plants in there, eventually I will get to that point

1 - 10 of 10 Posts