Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a JD who seems to not wanna stand up for himself. He was originally in am 85G tank with various other cichlids, Africans included. All breeds get along but Jack was insanely picked on and he's looking like s#*^ :( We removed him to a 25G tank with 5 smaller cichlids. He avoids them and us. Since he didn't want to attack and stand up for himself, I wonder will he attack my nonagressive fish, if I move them in with him. My goldfish is bigger then Jack but I have a few smaller. And a couple more bite size atm, those will definitely stay out. Would it b ok to move my other fish in with him? Seein as he's forgot he's a cichlid lol

·
Registered
406 Posts
I would say the bite size ones definitely keep away from the JDs and if you are attached to your other community fish, then I would tell you not to risk it.

I have a 55 gallon with a 6 inch male EBJD and a 3-4 inch female BGJD and for the most part they are pretty calm non-aggressive fish. So to get some more movement in the tank, I added 6 red wag platys and 6 lyretail dalmation mollies. Within the first week, 3 platys and 1 mollies were partially eaten. After that first week, I haven't lost any since. I think they were just curious and took a bite and decided they prefer eating their pellets better.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Or possibly the slow thinking ones are now gone!

Once picked on and beaten around, it may take forever for a fish to recover his mojo. If you want him to become more aggressive, try some cheap live foods- - like unwanted fry maybe? Once he discovers there is benefit to being a big guy he may like it. Fish personalities are pretty hard to figure.

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
Barrett56, after reading this post and the one you posted in the illness area I strongly suggest you get rid of the JD for it's own good.

In my opinion the method you and your partner use for keeping cichlids is very irresponsible.

Moving the depleted jack dempsey back and forth where he gets a constant beating will surely result in its death, not only from the injuries but from the stress brought on my the injuries and the constant moving back and forth.

It's simple really, stress kills fish, and it seems every situation the jd is put in is a stressful one. Take it to the pet store where they can quaranteen it which is what it need right now to simply survive.

I understand the want to impulse buy at fish stores, I have 47 tanks set up, BUT my suggestion to you is to do these things in this order:

1.) Take the JD back to the store, do not ask for credit or anything of the like. Simply save its life.

2.) Make a complete accurate list of the cichlids being kept in the 85 gallon.

3.) Research said list by using this site and the experienced members that belong to it.

4.) Remove the cichlids that do not belong.

If it's one thing I've learned about keeping cichlids, once the low man on the totem pole is removed another will simply take it's place.

The same goes for when you remove the top man on the toem pole. One will surely take it's place.

Incidently, Jack Dempseys, while named after the boxer are not nearly as aggressive as most species of CA cichlids. In my experience they are close to the bottom on the scale of aggressiveness.

Here is a link to the original post with all of the history behind the JD in question:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/view ... p?t=222689

If this is truely your favorite fish then get rid of it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No offence, but the JDs not in a stressful situation now. I never did agree with him being put back in the big tank. I was sizing him up today. One side of him is bad, the other is fine. As for bringing him back to the pet store. No way in ****. I love that fish. He's stayin in that 25G whether he's alone or not. Some ppl think well if he dies I'll just get another. It's not as simple as that. And I admit I'm no expert like half the ppl who comment and tell me I'm doing things wrong, but you gotta live to learn. He's not suffering and I'm doing all in my power to help him get past this. Unless you can offer support on how to patch my lil/big guy up, please don't comment. Telling me I'm wrong does nothing but tick me off.
Oh and as to your statement of someone else being the underdog, not in my tank. The remaining fish all get along. A small chase here or nip there, and thats it.

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
Barrett56, what you don't understand is the delicate balance that exists in a cichlid aquarium. When things change like decor or tank mates the entire dynamics of the tank changes.

Stress for fish is easily brought on by simply showing it the net through the glass. Being caught in it and moved to another tank is an ordeal and very stressful. Giving it decor it can't fit in is stressfull. Allowing it to get beat to a pulp is stressfull.

Stress kills fish.

As for advice, I gave you advice on what to do with your JD. Sometimes the truth is not what people want to hear. Asking for advice and not taking it is what many people that come on here do. Be different and follow the advice.

You are not offending me in any way shape or form. But if you really do want to take proper care of these cichlids.... Simply put, you should follow my advice.

Here's another option. Get your self a tank with the foot print the minimum of 36"x12". Something like a 30 long or a 38. Tanks are cheap at aquarium auctions or ebay or craigs list.

Put the JD in there for the rest of its natural life. It will be happy without tank mates, it will be stress free...

People often ask for advice but what they really want is for someone to tell them what they want to hear, what they've formulated in their head to be the correct advice or answer etc... You will NOT get that from me. I've kept cichlids for 25 years. I've killed plenty to know what is the right thing to do. I've rescued hundreds of fish, if not thousands across the globe. I will not back down on the advice given.

If this is truely your favorite fish then start treating it like it is. Give it a new home it deserves, something much larger than a 25 gallon with a goldfish in it (quite possibly the nastiest dirtiest fish out there)

Do the right thing this time. Give him up.

Living and learning when the proper advice has been given is NOT living and learning. It's doing what you want to do and not what's best for your fish. If it were a dog in this situation you would be abusing it...

It seems to me you clearly like your fish, but then you laugh about him not fitting in a piece of decor, or keep it in a tank where it simply does not fit? I'm confused??? You're keeping fish together that clearly do not get along together yet you say live and learn? How does that make sense? They have no place to run in a 4' tank like your 85.... They live in a glass box, territorial disputes will go to the death when there's no place to run.

·
Registered
228 Posts
ur first mistake was having the dempsey with africans......

if africans got 12" they would have their way with any CA cichlid i had a kenyi 5" pick on a 10" oscar while doing a tank cleaning

stick with either african or CA

·
Registered
134 Posts
You shouldn't post on here if you don't want peoples input, especially if your gonna get all bent out of shape after someone gives you their opinion. I agree with thefishguy that your Dempsey is not in a good situation. If ya don't wanna get rid of him then you better start getting rid of your other fish, especially if ya care about him as much as ya say you do. And a Dempsey in a 25 gal tank, not right, but sounds like your gonna do whatever you want anyway so don't know why you posted on here in the first place. Not trying to be a jerk about it but just putting my two cents in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts