Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hi jegrego1,

Although jason_nj is correct to say it is difficult to tell when young, Based on your picture I would lean towards male; since he has blue dots below and behind his eye and not any color on his lower jaw.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the responses Id really like to try and breed it with an electric blue JD any sugestions on how to pair them or if it has to be a EBJD male and regular female or vice versa?

·
Registered
406 Posts
EBJDs are very very difficult to sex. The best way is to see how they react to another JD that you know the sex of. They aren't that difficult to pair, if you have an EBJD male, just get a few regular JD females and they'll eventually form a pair.

Now what is your goal on breeding EBJDs? Because you're only going to get Blue Gene JDs when pairing a EBJD and a regular JD. If you don't know what BGJD is, they are regular looking JDs that carry the gene that makes blues.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so in reality if im looking to get off spring it will be the same outcome of two normal JDs. which seems like the cheaper and much more practical. I normally like as many fish as i can keep in the tank but I think having a couple could be equally fun to keep. What kind of fish should I keep with the couple at the moment I have a smaller african which will need to go a pictus catfish, and a Bumblebee Corydora Cat.

·
Registered
308 Posts
That's incorrect about what u said about have the same outcome as a two regular jds, with blue gene if u breed them together u can actually get ebjd. From what I hear is the only way to make ebjd

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Right so If I beed and ebjd with a regular JD, the fry will be carriers but not express the gene. so if I wanted to have ebjd fry i have to get two EBJDs or wait for the fry to grow up and then breed them? then they well be closely inbred and will likely have other fish problems.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
jegrego1 said:
Right so If I breed and ebjd with a regular JD, the fry will be carriers but not express the gene. so if I wanted to have ebjd fry I have to get two EBJDs or wait for the fry to grow up and then breed them? then they well be closely inbred and will likely have other fish problems.
Hi jegrego1,

In order to breed EBJDs you have two options.

1) EBJD x BGJD = 50% EBJD fry and 50% BGJD fry

2) BGJD x BGJD = 25% EBJD fry, 25% Regular JD fry and 50% BGJD fry

In regards to scenario 2): since BGJDs look like regular JDs 75% of the batch would have to be considered regular JDs. However, a breeder of EBJDs mentioned that in his opinion the EBJD fry from a BGJD x BGJD spawn tent to have a higher survival rate and are of a higher quality.

Breeding two EBJDs together does not produce viable fry; not sure why, I believe it is due to weak genetics.

As you noted above, inbreeding is a problem with EBJDs. As far as I know there is only one documented initial occurrence of EBJDs and therefore there has been extensive inbreeding to create this cichlid anomaly. http://www.elacuarista.com/secciones/tfhblue.htm

All this information is gathered from the internet, magazines and experiences. Therefore, please take it for what it is worth.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
406 Posts
Matt is right, breeding 2 EBJDs do not produce viable fry. It appears to be a lethal combination in terms of genetics. From all the posts I've read, the longest anyone has had EBJD fry survive is about a week or two.

To breed EBJDs properly, you would need to get 2 unrelated EBJDs, and 2 unrelated regular JDs, breed them with the EBJDs, raise both sets of fry and breed the unrelated BGJDs with each other or back to the unrelated parent EBJD.

I did this, and it took me about a year and I'm currently growing out my first spawn of EBJDs right now. I would say I have about 50 EBJDs about 1 inch in size. I'm all set now though because I have 3 sets of unrelated BGJD pairs and 2 EBJD/BGJD pairs.

You could also purchase BGJDs on places like Aquabid to give you a head start.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
mlancaster said:
Breeding two EBJDs together does not produce viable fry; not sure why, I believe it is due to weak genetics.
inbreeding is a problem with EBJDs. As far as I know there is only one documented initial occurrence of EBJDs and therefore there has been extensive inbreeding to create this cichlid anomaly. t
Exactly why EBJD x EBJD produces no viable fry (or virtually none) is unknown. The fish does have weak genetics.

But I really doubt EBJD's weak genetics have anything to do with inbreeding .......as many people claim on the internet. The fish is less inbred then most aquarium fishes, since it has to be outcrossed at least every second generation. A lot of line bred fish started out with just a few individuals and then were inbred in order to re-inforce the desireable traits...... and they have none of the genetic weaknesses that plague EBJD's. Common practice, as well, for most aquarium fishes to be bred between siblings, brother to sister.........something that can't be done between two EBJD's.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the problem isnt necessarily the inbreeding you can have two humans inbreed and the offspring could come out normal as long as the expressed genes are different enough. the problem comes from the overlapping of the same dominant traits which produces genetic effects.
Anywho *** got a new question do africans ever breed with central americans, like a JD for instance or do I not need to worry about that.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a regular male JD? how can I find him a EBJD female. not worried about the fry being carriers or not just want a colorful girl for my main man.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.