Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am new to the forum and have a question!

I have two JD's in a 55 gallon tank, by themselves. I do weekly water changes(half changes.) Also, their water quality is great! Both fish are healthy with no abnormalities.

However, for the last few weeks they have been hiding in a "log" together, barely coming out to eat and are hanging with each other a lot. When I turn the lights on they go "crazy" hitting the glass and anything in their way. Afterwards they sometimes float near the top sort of bent sideways.

What could be causing this behavior? I keep looking for eggs, but haven't found any yet! Any info would be greatly appreciated :)

-A confused JD's owner!!!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Are both fish hanging new the top of the tank or just one? Also how large are they and are you sure you have a male and female JD?

Anyway hiding in the log together might be pairing behavior but I don't think is spawning behavior. If they are spawning your female JD will put on her breeding dress and turn very dark almost black. Have you ever seen them liplocking or perhaps when the lights go out, one is trying to spawn and is chasing the other.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both fish have been in the same tank together for about a year. They only hang at the top of the tank sometimes, after performing the erratic swim.

One is 6" and the other is 4". I have not sexed them so I will include photos at the end of this post.

They liplocked in the beginning when the were first introduced, but I haven't seen any of it recently. They are both dark in color. Thank you for your help with this!

The two photos below are of the 6" JD.

The two below here is the 4" JD.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Ok you have a male and female. What kind of lights do you have? Did you recently change anything in the tank? Maybe consider getting a light timer if you don't have one that way your fish will get into a schedule and they'll get used to the light turning on and off at the same time.

Also what kind of decor do you have in the tank? If they want to breed, they'll prefer a flat piece of rock like slate or a clay flowerpot. Usually in the corner of the tank surrounded by other decorations so they'll feel thats a safe breeding spot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure of the lighting, but I will start a schedule for the it! I have river rock as the substrate, along with natural rocks and some fake plants. There isn't much of anything flat in there, so I will do that next. Nothing has been changed in the tank except the water changes that I do weekly or bi-weekly depending on the balance. I will post more after I make the minor changes! Thanks for your information, especially with the sexing :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: They are starting to move rocks on their own, still not seeing any eggs though :/ How long does it take for them to mate?

·
Registered
228 Posts
their first time they will be slightly confused and whatnot but they will catch on

your JDs look in good health

4in is about the time a JD will begin to pair and spawn so it should be soon

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks you guys!! I appreciate the feedback :) I keep watching and waiting! It is kind of neat to watch them doing this. I also put a flat type surface near the entrance of the log to see if they will use it for their eggs!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts