Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening! I walked into my room today to see all of the fish in the tank on one side and two of my JD on the opposite side laying eggs on a flat rock. My main question is, which on is male, and which one is female. I tried to research online but could find a definite answer. Anything would help!

Cheers!

·
Registered
184 Posts
The bottom two pictures are of the male. And the one that layed the eggs was the female.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I figured but didn't see who layed the eggs. At one point they both were rubbing up against the rock. I love my dempseys and are really excited that they are going to have some fry! I have had these for about 6 months and I changed the layout a couple weeks ago and I noticed the big one moving rocks and such. Glad I did ;) now my monthly water change is due in about a week, should I postpone because of fry or continue my schedule? They should hatch in a couple days, ill post pics.

·
Registered
406 Posts
The first picture the JD that is almost black and perpendicular to the floor is the female, you can only see the back half of the male, the last 2 pictures are of the male.

Congrats on the spawn.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Day two, Unfortunately more white eggs than I expected(dead eggs, correct?). Its not a huge loss seeing as this was an unexpected mating/egg laying. We should have our Fry tank up before next week to save some of them and raise them :)

·
Registered
406 Posts
Yes, the white eggs are dead eggs. Since this is their first spawn, its not unusual to have a lot of unfertilized eggs. 2 more days the good eggs will hatch and another 3 days after they'll be free swimming. The next time they spawn, they'll do a better job and spawning, it might take them a few tries to get it completely right.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He is about 6.5inchs. He is stunning and the reason why we decided to go with Jack Demps. Our tank started out as a community of several fish and he grew fast and beautiful so we replaced all of them with Jack Demps. Today we found major aggression towards our Green Terror:
This is an old one of him(although he hasn't grown much)

I might actually splurge and buy a new 55gal for our other guys in the tank and have everyone separate for all the health of the fish. New pics tomorrow after work!

·
Registered
406 Posts
The GT will be better off in another tank, they look a little too similar to JDs and my guess is that he's not growing as much because of the pair of JDs. Also JDs get really mean when breeding so any tank mates would be miserables.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Looks like they all might not make it. I am going to get the fry tank set up for next time, but I cant see a single none white egg when I get close. :(

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Sorry to hear that. They will try again soon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also I would like to add that the GT was purchased on accident. I am new to fish and asked for 5 JD and one ended up a Terror when he grew up :) I like him so we kept him!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Sometimes it takes them a couple of tries to get the spawning right. If you keep their water clean and feed them high protein foods, they'll try again. My dempseys tend to spawn every 4 weeks, fastest was 2 weeks between spawns.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts