Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was feeding my tangs just now and I noticed one of my julies was fanning a clutch of eggs!

I'm a little confused because it's only one fish, and it's one that I thought was a male. I have two smaller Julies and one big julie, which I assumed was the female.

One of the smaller ones is fanning the eggs, which look creamish in color, and the big one is swimming around as usual. They act like a pair sometimes, and the big one swam over to the eggs a few minutes ago and just wiggled and then swam away.

I'm trying to decide whether I should take the eggs out (submerged, of course) and put them into an empty tank with an air stone or should I wait until they hatch. I'll probably take the one who is fanning the eggs out too if I remove the eggs. What do you think I should do? Those with experience breeding any type of julie, chime in and tell me whatever you think I should know, pretty please!

The main reason for removing the eggs is my 55 gallon tank is a community tank and not only are there two comps and a brichardi, but also 3 upside down cats which I know for a fact will eat the eggs if given a chance. There only appears to be 20-30 eggs, the smallest clutch from an egg layer I've seen (it's quite possible they laid eggs yesterday and the cats had their fair share already).

Pics shortly :dancing:

:D

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm getting set up for pictures and I just noticed the mouth of the guarding julie is bleeding/bloody.

So at this point I'm thinking they are fertilized :thumb:

Basically, it looks like the remnants of a fairly brutal cichlid spawning ritual! Nothing too bad though, I can just see her lips are bloody and her teeth are clearly visible...

And here's the pics:

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I decided to remove the eggs.

I'll guess we'll see in a few days whether this was a bad idea or not.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I noticed about 5 of 40 eggs had turned white by this morning. The rest still look good, I'm debating on removing the white eggs but I'm going to try to do it without disrupting the others.

I'm expecting the eggs to hatch either tonight or tomorrow morning. I'm pretty excited! :lol:

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: The eggs are hatching right now! I got home from class, went to the beach, caught some rides and it looks like I got home right on time.

Pic:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Congrats!
looks like 1 or 2 of your fry didt make it :?
so how many fry can you spot?

Male occie keeps on going in his shell when i put my hand in(very unusual)
i will take a pic though.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Multies. I'm excited to raise the fry, somehow it just never gets old.

I was able to count the eggs yesterday, there was 40 exactly. I just counted fry that I can tell are alive, there was at least 28 :lol:. I say at least because some of them have started descending to the sand bottom and out of my sight. There appears to be 5 or 6 that didn't get fertilized or died, you can see they are the white ones in the pictures.

ps. No rush on the pic dude, I'm sure it'll be worth the wait :thumb:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
it will be very exciting to see them grow!
*** got tons of pics of my occies growing up and they grow so slowly..

btw, great pics! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Nice pics!
heres my occie fry
Day 9 after they spawned

seems like they are getting the stripes!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone!

Aaxxeell, I used a canon rebel xt DSLR with an 18mm-55mm wide screen lens. The camera is sick, but if I had some nicer glass I can't even imagine the macro shots I could get.

Multies thats a great picture of the an occie fry. Kinda cool how the gold color of the egg makes it look like he is already coloring up. My fry are getting stripes already, you can look at them every couple hours and see a difference in the size of the yolk sac.

They still aren't free swimming but it shouldn't be long now. They are really packing on the size though which is a good thing because it means feeding them won't be that hard. I would guess they are about half a cm this morning.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
are you going to take out the fry after they are free swimming or are you going to just leave them be.
*** got older ones in the tank right now and they are much bigger then those guys.
and the ones in the pic are much bigger now too. looking more fish like.

i almost got him yesterday..
i got him out, but when i dropped the shell to catch him.. he went straight for it! so no pic yesterday :(

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks aroussel, Keep checking back too because I plan to update this thread frequently with pics.

Multies, I took them out a few days ago, before they hatched. I put an open air hose right above the eggs to help keep fresh water moving through them. The tank is a 2 gallon. It has trumpet snails and a sponge filter that has been running for a few months so they will probably have a lot of food available in the tank.

After they put some size on I will move them into a rubber maid container with a sponge filter. If I buy another tank, it will eventually become a display so It's more practical for me to just use rubber maids to grow these fry out. But for right now having them in a 2 gallon gives me the ability to constantly have an eye on them.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts