Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

A few months back I had the idea to make my own sump. I had a lot of ideas and I found some salvaged glass from a local contractor. My first go at it was a learning experience and on the advice of some member I decided to strip and redo it.

Here's a pic of the old one:

Needless to say I used too much silicone LOL.

So because of my natural ability to put things off, I just got back around to it now. For the last couple of days I've been stripping and cleaning and finally I was confident I got it all. I also came up with a design:(click to get a better view)

After talking to Prov I decided the bubble trap wasn't a necessity nor were the scrubbies, but I haven't decided completely on the media.

So tonight I started the silicone process and installed the first baffle (where the overflow outlets) which I think I will outfit with a pair of combo filter socks. I figure I'll likely need to change them every 3 days or so when the stocking is at the peak, but I should achieve a very high rate of detritus removal.

Pics:

And just for fun a pic of my new Mag18 pump. This thing is a total beast:

So that's it for now... I plan to do the rest of the baffles after the test fill and I'll do some updates then.
Thanks for reading

ps: No jokes about not having baseboards... I just did the basement and I get enough wise cracks from my wife.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
PauloSilva said:
ps: No jokes about not having baseboards... I just did the basement and I get enough wise cracks from my wife.
Dammit! :D
I feel your pain, chair rail, baseboards and crown molding on the go :roll:
Lookin good so far :thumb:

·
Registered
456 Posts
It's looking good and I can tell you've thought this thing through many times over. I like your design but the bubble trap is unnecessary and it would require top off more frequently. I would also consider a space under the scrubbies for mulm removal. I bought the Mag12 and love it but wish I had opted for the 18. Keep us posted.
Here's a pic of my DIY setup.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Malawi_Junkie said:
It's looking good and I can tell you've thought this thing through many times over. I like your design but the bubble trap is unnecessary and it would require top off more frequently. I would also consider a space under the scrubbies for mulm removal. I bought the Mag12 and love it but wish I had opted for the 18. Keep us posted.
Here's a pic of my DIY setup.
Yes I have thought and dreamt of every aspect of this process for awhile. I also installed a 1500 glass-holes kit last weekend but forgot to take any pics.

I've eliminated the bubble trap from the design. Under the scrubbies will just be a location for my heaters so I will be able to remove mulm there. I just haven't bothered to update the CAD sketch. I honestly can't wait to start plumbing this bad boy up.

While we are here do you have any suggestion for the returns. This is something I'm still very hung up on.

Thanks for the comments.

·
Registered
456 Posts
jchild40
Water evaporation would be noticed by lower water level in the sump while main display tank level would be constant.

I use two 3/4" pvc returns which easily handle the mag12 at 5' of head. I would feel confident these could handle the 18.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Malawi_Junkie said:
jchild40
Water evaporation would be noticed by lower water level in the sump while main display tank level would be constant.

I use two 3/4" pvc returns which easily handle the mag12 at 5' of head. I would feel confident these could handle the 18.
The recommended size for the outlet is actually 1.5" I couldn't believe it when I saw it. My plan is to use 1.25" pipe to a Y and reduce both sides to 1" pipe. However, I still haven't decided exactly what I'm going to do with it. I thought about UGJ but I think the current would be too strong. I really don't need any surface agitation, so I may end up doing a series of jets on each side of the tank, similar to multiple powerheads. I don't have any fish in the tank so I'm going to play around with it and see what I like.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tiny update. I added another baffle and did a test fill. I'll likely leave it for a few days and then empty and add the next baffle.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, the test fill was a success, no leaks which is a huge relief. I found some scrubbies at the dollar store 6 for $1 so I'll likely be picking up about 20-30 packs this weekend and building the drip tray. I'll also be finishing the DIY stand this weekend with any luck. I also managed to paint the tank a nice black which imo looks really good, and camoflauges the overbox box.

I'm still very much undecided about the return plumbing. I know I want to split the plumbing coming off of the pump to each side of the tank. The plan at the moment is to run multiple nozzles in different directions vertically in the tank. If you have any suggestions for the return plumbing please chime in.

Also all pvc will be painted black to help camoflauge. I want this to be a really clean setup.

Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
456 Posts
The recommended size for the outlet is actually 1.5" I couldn't believe it when I saw it. My plan is to use 1.25" pipe to a Y and reduce both sides to 1" pipe.
Where did you see this info? just curious. The Mag18 is listed to have a 3/4" FPT inlet and 3/4" MPT outlet. Seems like the larger outlet would create resistance reducing flow rate. Maybe I'm wrong????
Spec sheet
Brand Supreme
Model Mag18
Cord Length 10 ft
Dimensions 6 3/8" x 3 1/8" x 4 5/8"
GPH 1800 gph
Inlet 3/4" FPT
Item # 16601
Max Head Height 20 ft
MPN 02718
Outlet 3/4" MPT
Total Wattage 145 W
UPC 025033027183

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
You would think so but actually (2) 1" Ø circles is less area than (1) 1-1/2"Ø circle.

You would need (4) 3/4"Ø circles to ~ equal the area of (1) 1-1/2"Ø.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
fox said:
You would think so but actually (2) 1" Ø circles is less area than (1) 1-1/2"Ø circle.

You would need (4) 3/4"Ø circles to ~ equal the area of (1) 1-1/2"Ø.
Agreed, and I would expect that atleast 50% of the people using these pumps aren't getting the flow rates they think they are. A simple area calc is all you need.

3.14(.75")^2=1.766sq.in

3.14(.375")^2=0.441sq.in

No doubt you are not getting the flow rate you think you are. I too was very surprised when I read the 1.5" recommended outlet, I rubbed my eyes and read it again.

I ran the pump inside the bathtub with no fittings whatsoever, and it generate a huge amount of flow and I had to hold on to it to stop it from moving around. However, I used it to empty my sump and used a regular 25' garden hose and it barely trickled out the end of the hose. It appears that these pumps have greatly reduced flow rates when using smaller than recommended sizing, as well as, frictional losses, regardless of head height.

I don't think I'm going to use 1.5" but I likely will use 1.25" then wye'd to two 1" returns going to the tank which will give me ~1.57sq.in in cross sectional area.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Malawi_Junkie said:
I think I might pull my pump and experiment a little this weekend.
Let us know if you do and how it goes. I'm really curious to know if the recommended sizing makes a great deal of difference.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.