Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be buying some sand this week and get the tank decorated, filled and start the fishless cycle. It is a 55 gallon tank, going to be a peaceful mbuna tank. I really like the looks of the black sand and I tested my ph out of the tap and it's right around 7.4/7.6. Has anyone used the Gray Coast Calcite argonite substrate foster and smith sells? The picture looks very very black. It's $19.99/20lbs so I figure 40lbs will give me btwn 1-1.5" depth in the tank, expensive but worth it in my mind. Any thoughts?
My second question is filtration. Boyfriend would like to stabalize the tank, possibly with a bracket. Floor and tank is level but he wants to be extra cautious. So, I am going to purchase a canister filter so the tank can be flush with the wall. For a 55 gallon tank with 3 species, all juveniles to start with. Would a marineland C-360 be sufficient filtration? I really can't afford 2 canister filters right off but perhaps as they get a bit larger, next spring, I can buy a 2nd. Any thoughts?
I am really excited! My big question is that argonite sand and how black it really is if others have used it??

·
Registered
130 Posts
I used 75 pounds of pool filter sand in my 75 gallon tank to get about that depth.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Never seen that kind of sand before so i cant really say about that. But I know the tahitian black moon sand is really black looks good in aquariums. Also you need atleast 55 lbs of sand to maybe get to 1inch depth, 40lbs wont be enough. General rule for filters you want a turn over ratio per hour in gallons is 5 to 6 times the gallon of your tank.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
That filter would be fine and you wouldn't need to add a second as long as you keep the mechanical stages clean.

I wouldn't put the tank flush against the wall. Little splashes or any bubbling mist over time can leave you with some drywall damage. You can still bracket it without it being right against the wall by using longer L brackets.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used the calculator to determind the amount of sand. And 36 pounds would give me a depth of 1" according to the calculator on this site. I will probably buy a 3rd bag to get the depth closer to 1.5".

·
Registered
688 Posts
I agree with tannable 75 that I would not put the tank close to the wall. I may be overdoing it, but I always allow 6 inches between the tank and wall. This gives you room for HOB filters should you decide you want one and it gives you room to wipe any splashes off the wall. I don't think you get too many earthquakes in New England so I don't think you really need to secure the tank against the wall.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I would say the one canister would be good but if you leave the tank out from the wall oyu can add a AC 110 or Emperor 400 HOB flter and that would deffently be enough. It would also give you the surface aggitation for gas exchange.

Sounds good though.

·
Registered
42 Posts
kasey06 said:
I will be buying some sand this week and get the tank decorated, filled and start the fishless cycle. It is a 55 gallon tank, going to be a peaceful mbuna tank. I really like the looks of the black sand and I tested my ph out of the tap and it's right around 7.4/7.6. Has anyone used the Gray Coast Calcite argonite substrate foster and smith sells? The picture looks very very black. It's $19.99/20lbs so I figure 40lbs will give me btwn 1-1.5" depth in the tank, expensive but worth it in my mind. Any thoughts?
My second question is filtration. Boyfriend would like to stabalize the tank, possibly with a bracket. Floor and tank is level but he wants to be extra cautious. So, I am going to purchase a canister filter so the tank can be flush with the wall. For a 55 gallon tank with 3 species, all juveniles to start with. Would a marineland C-360 be sufficient filtration? I really can't afford 2 canister filters right off but perhaps as they get a bit larger, next spring, I can buy a 2nd. Any thoughts?
I am really excited! My big question is that argonite sand and how black it really is if others have used it??
Hey, Kasey,

If you want dart sand, it's hard to beat CaribSea's Tahitian moon sand. If you go through my deal finder site:
http://www.thedealretriever.com/index.php?option=com_mtree&task=viewlink&link_id=3&Itemid=55

Go to PetSmart though my site and you'll 15% off the purchase of the sand at 19.99/20lb. bag if you spend $65 or more (which you will for the amount of sand you want), so you're getting it for $16.99 PLUS you'll get free shipping if your order is over $50 (which, again, it will be).

Just wanted to share an option. This stuff is jet black, here's a pic:

Hope that helps!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts