Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all I haven't posted in a while, but I have a few questions. Last I posted I had a lot of algae I wasnt sure of. I think I identified it as diatom, which according to users on this site is harmless for fish. But it is still a problem, getting my glass and sand and rocks green in less than a week after I clean them. I'm fine with the rocks getting algae, adds a more natural look and they pick at it to eat sometimes, but when it's on the sand and glass it looks like junk! Any way I can get rid of it? Less lighting? I really don't like Plecos, but if they would help which would be the best? I don't like the really huge ones, so something maybe a little smaller?

Also, what would do a good job of cleaning up a fry tank? I've got a few fry in it time to time, and when they are so small they don't get all of the food, anything that would clean the bottom of the tank without cleaning me out of fry?

Thanks for any help you could offer! :fish: :fish: :fish:

·
Registered
220 Posts
mattawan_cichlid said:
Also, what would do a good job of cleaning up a fry tank? I've got a few fry in it time to time, and when they are so small they don't get all of the food, anything that would clean the bottom of the tank without cleaning me out of fry?
:thumb: Yeah.... What he asked. I have the same question.

·
Registered
509 Posts
sjnovakovich said:
mattawan_cichlid said:
I vacuum into a bucket and then net the fry back into the tank.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
702Cichlid said:
If you're feeding a veggie rich diet a bristle nose pleco should clean things up without eating any fry.
+1 to the Bristlenose. I have one in my fry tanks as well and they never bother the fry at all. Currently he is hanging out with some Demasoni fry that I stripped 10 days ago and has been in there since day 1 with they guys without a hiccup. Same thing with the last batch of fry I had. HTHs

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I vacuum my fry tanks. Fry are stronger and smarter than most people think. Just keep an eye on them to be sure.

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
mattawan_cichlid said:
I think I identified it as diatom, which according to users on this site is harmless for fish. But it is still a problem, getting my glass and sand and rocks green in less than a week after I clean them. I'm fine with the rocks getting algae, adds a more natural look and they pick at it to eat sometimes, but when it's on the sand and glass it looks like junk!
Diatoms are usually brown. The algae I most commonly get on the sand that is green is cyanobacteria. (Usually I do not get algae on the sand.) Is it blue green? Slimy and/or comes off in sheets?

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
sjnovakovich said:
mattawan_cichlid said:
I use otocinclus in both 10g fry tanks, 3 each.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright, I think I'll maybe pick up a pleco for my fry tank. Thanks

DJRansome yes it's green and comes off in sheets like you described.

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
That is actually cyanobacteria and is treated with an antibiotic. Fish won't eat it.

Do you have plants in the tank? I get it when my plants need more fertilizer.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
DJRansome said:
That is actually cyanobacteria and is treated with an antibiotic. Fish won't eat it.

Do you have plants in the tank? I get it when my plants need more fertilizer.
ZOMG, that's what's wrong with my 20g Tang tank!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
DJRansome said:
Erythromycin.
I was trying to find that, I think Maracyn works for it, or did I read it wrong?

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
Maracyn's active ingredient is Erythromycin.

You would want to treat for a week according to package directions. It does not say on the package that Maracyn treats cyanobacteria, but I've used it at least twice.

Erythromycin will treat the symptom, but you also have to solve the root cause because it will come right back and stay forever. In my tanks it was low nitrates (fertilizer, like zero) causing sickly plants to leak plant fluid into the water...the cyano LOVES that stuff. Sometimes you can get it to go away just by adding fertilizer if your plants perk up.

If no plants it is some kind of water quality issue. Lots of water changes, monitor nitrates and keep them low. But you may still want to do the Erythromycin treatment to get rid of it as a starting place.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I dont think it's water quality (7 other aquariums can't be wrong...) , and I have no plants.

Good filter, cycled, etc, only 4 fish total in 20 gallons (1-2" each)

Really odd. perhaps it was a one-time thing, introduced by the fish? Can they carry it?

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this thread.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey no problem Glaneon, but I don't think mine is water quality either, I also have 2 Emperor 400's for filtration, so I'll treat it and see if it's a one time deal

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Another question, I went to my LFS and saw the Maracyn, but it says it used to treat fungul treatments of fish such as pop eye and cotton gill...is this the stuff I need? Also I got a pleco, I've read they will eat some of the cyanobacteria.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.