Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's been 6 weeks since I started my 90 gallon tank. I'm using an AC 110 HOB and a Jebo canister. I have about 15 or so Mbuna, 2 Cats, and a small Pleco in the tank and all are doing well. I'm doing weekly 50% WC's. My readings have all been good. The past few days I've noticed a lot of algae growing in the tank, mainly on the inside of the glass. In fact, I just finished scraping it off. My question is, is it time for me to clean one of the filters? I haven't touched them yet. By cleaning I mean I would rinse in tank water. When should I start vacuuming the substrate?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's been cycled 3 weeks, I did the cycle with 2 fish

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
It shouldn't need a cleaning yet. I wouldn't blame the algae on that. I'd go a bit more, maybe 2-3 more weeks, then do a first cleaning and go easy. Empty the can, rinse a sponge maybe, then put it back together and check levels after 24 hours. If all is good for a few days or so, then do a bit for the other filter. Don't rush this.

You can and should be vacuuming the substrate as needed. No risk in that.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok Prov, Thanks. I did do a little vacuuming, very little, about a week ago. I'm afraid to do much of anything. I don't want to mess this up. I will follow your advice.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
dmpjr said:
Ok Prov, Thanks. I did do a little vacuuming, very little, about a week ago. I'm afraid to do much of anything. I don't want to mess this up. I will follow your advice.
Yes, it's better to go easy. It's too new to need anything major done with the filters.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
FWIW, I believe algae will start off pretty heavy in the first few months of a tank's life.

·
Registered
482 Posts
unless there my tanks i cant get algae to grow having it growing on one small rock but wont spread :lol: even diatoms wish i could tho

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guess I'll have to have patience.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts