Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Rio 2100 pump in the tank with 4 jets using a series of 1/2" CPVC. I've run it before to test and just to circulate the water while my DIY background was cycling in the water, but tonight I put the sand in for the first time and fired up the jets.

The jets are blowing my sand everywhere and are exposing the bottom of my tank and the PVC for the jets.

Should I add a few more jets to help make them less powerful? Or, should I add more sand?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I could be wrong, I think under gravel jets are for gravel substrates. "under gravel" No I am not being sarcastic or rude just saying.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
The 1/2" diameter piping really ups the pressure when compared to 3/4". Adding more outlets as necessary will lower the pressure divided amongst the others.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've seen them used with sand before, they should work just fine. What I might try is angling them up a little instead of shooting straight out across the surface of the sand. I might add another jet or two as well.

·
Registered
45 Posts
@lelandgray Keep us posted as to what works best for you. I am also planning a UGJ setup using the Rio 2100 and 4 or 5 jets on my next tank with PFS, so I am following your build with interest.

Also, has anyone ever tried mixing ¾ AND ½ inch pvc in their UGJ setup?
What would happen if you used ¾ closer to the pump and ½ toward the end of the run???
Would it increase the pressure at the jets the furthest from the pump or have the opposite effect? It would be interesting to know if anyone has ever tried this….

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I re-aimed my jets so they point a little bit up instead of straight out across the sand, and my problem seems to have worked itself out. I'll adjust them a little bit more though, I've found I need some more sand. I have 40 lbs (I think) in there now, but I need a little bit more to increase the base.

I also got my Fluval 305 up and running, once I figured out how to prime the dang thing. Hopefully within the next day or two my water won't be cloudy anymore.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Rialb30 said:
What would happen if you used ¾ closer to the pump and ½ toward the end of the run???
Would it increase the pressure at the jets the furthest from the pump or have the opposite effect? It would be interesting to know if anyone has ever tried this….
A rule of thumb to get good water distribution in a header system is to have the total outlet area equal to 60% of the main distribution pipe cross sectional area. This can be done by adjusting the jet tips - that is having the right size hole or slit in the end of each jet. I would consider a "fan" type jet (slit vs. hole) where you are trying to keep the velocities a little lower but still get good distribution and water flow.

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
I'd vote for more jets. 4 is not very many. I used to have 6 in my 29G, and now have almost 30 in my 240G. See here for details of my setup.

Nick55G said:
I could be wrong, I think under gravel jets are for gravel substrates. "under gravel" No I am not being sarcastic or rude just saying.
Good point, but gravel in this context is a misnomer. UGJs work very well with sand, because they effectively prevent debris from settling on the sand and take it to the filters. With gravel - the coarser the worse - UGJs don't work very well at all, because debris will get stuck between the gravel pieces, and no jet can get it back out.

Rialb30 said:
¾ closer to the pump and ½ toward the end of the run works great, but I have never done it any other way, so I can't compare what would happen if I'd kept the same diameter throughout.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts