Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in Pet Supplies getting food for my dog, and I walked over to the fish section. The fish at that store are always in **** condition,sadly. Today I noticed that some fish were dyed, they had hears on them and on the other side it said LOVE. It was atrocious. I didn't expect to see it in a chain store. They were labeled as Oranda Tattoo's, at $36.

·
Registered
796 Posts
nope but it should. fish have been getting tattoo'd for a long time starting with the "painted glassfish". They've now moved on with other fish.[/list]

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
Ok, playing Devil's advocate for a bit...

What should be made illegal here?

Let's say I use a needle that is proportionally the same size as the ones used on dogs for perm. ID tagging or on humans... what's the difference between a heart and a code on dogs? Is it size of the tattoo?

Should the size of tattoos be regulated for animals? Is that what you are suggesting?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I almost said something to the manager about it being illegal. I would've felt stupid.

Still though, I suppose it should be illegal.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
The really sad part is they will sell all of them!
So who is worse the jerk who does it or the ones that create the demand?!!! :x

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Number6 said:
Hoosier Tank said:
the ones that create the demand?!!! :x
BINGO :thumb:
Agreed. So many businesses don't even care if they are hurting someone or something, as long as they are making money off of the things people want.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
I would put more blame on the person who profits off of the torture of an animal than the fool who bought it...

greed is uglier than ignorance...

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Just for fun ...

Let's say I use a needle that is proportionally the same size as the ones used on dogs for perm. ID tagging or on humans... what's the difference between a heart and a code on dogs?
At least we have a good idea of how it feels on a dog, cat, or monkey as a mammal's skin is of course similiar to our own. We have no idea how it feels over scales. Could be much much worse on reptiles or fish. Of course, could be less too.

Still ugly though.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Wow, that's sad. Never seen that myself but I bet they do sell like hotcakes. Imagine any young girl who sees a 'goldfish' with a heart on the side. I've never known one who wouldn't go nuts over it.

I imagine the process of doing this is not exactly humane. Just a guess but I bet a large majority of these fish don't survive the process and that contributes to the reason it's $35 for each fish.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
So the reason that these fish are produced (and stocked) is that there is a market for them. There will ALWAYS be a market for stupid sh*t. ALWAYS.

Like it or not, a seafood market is a million times more brutal than a LFS that carries these fish.

Of these fish that are sold, I'd bet that 10 times more will perrish from poor care vs. any complications from being tatooed. At least SOME of these fish will get a decent life and die of natural causes.

If you don't like your job, imagine being some guy in Thailand spending 7 days a week, 12 hours a day tattoo-ing fish. "You're done with the goldfish, now get to work on the gouramis!!! Chop chop..."

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
artemis1 said:
Not illegal... sadly. Stupid process.
Some would say keeping fish in a box of water is cruel and unnatural. Would you join them in making it illegal? I come down on the side of freedom of choice and use the power of my wallet to effect change.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
iceblue said:
artemis1 said:
Not illegal... sadly. Stupid process.
Some would say keeping fish in a box of water is cruel and unnatural. Would you join them in making it illegal? I come down on the side of freedom of choice and use the power of my wallet to effect change.
It is cruel to keep a fish in a box of water if the box isn't "big enough" :wink:

I think removing a fishes slime coating, injecting it with dye through a needle proportionally the size of a pencil, stressing the fish out greatly and making is live shorter, and have a weakened immune system, is, cruel.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
It is illegal in the UK. Sadly it is not illegal to import and sell em in the UK (but hopefully soon will be)

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
artemis1 said:
It is cruel to keep a fish in a box of water if the box isn't "big enough" :wink:
Agreed 100%.

I think removing a fishes slime coating, injecting it with dye through a needle proportionally the size of a pencil, stressing the fish out greatly and making is live shorter, and have a weakened immune system, is, cruel.
But fisherman will spend hours useing pointed treble hooks to fight a fish to the surface and then gaf them through the neck with a large hand hook to drag them onboard. I still would not stand in thier way to enjoy thier sport just because I found it offensive.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts