Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I founnd a ehiem 2227 on CL for $60. Has all the hoses and works, no media. Is it worth the purchase. The seller posted $80 and I was able to get them to settle for $60.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I would think so. Being a wet/dry as long as it works fine Id snap it up if i was looking for one. Did you check into the media cost for it yet?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I figured you can use biomax like the rest of the canisters. I have never owned an ehiem or a wet/dry. Is there a big difference in a wet/dry vs like a fluval 404?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Well the wet/dry is way better at putting O2 into the water and my Ehiem is dead silent compared to my fluval 405. The fluval isnt loud but the ehiem I have to look for water flow to see if it is running. Seriously that quiet. That filter would retail for about $230-$260

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I emailed the guy back and asked if he would be willing to set it up to confirm it holds water and runs. Supposedly it has a heater in it and all the hoses. Just waiting for a response. I have been looking for another canister for a 55 that might become my new African tank. 8) I only own two canisters cascade 1000 and a fx5. Both of them are quiet no problems what so ever. I have heard a lot of good things about eheim and figured I would look on CL for a deal and I found one.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it has no heater . So I arranged to meet with the guy tomorrow after work and he is gonna set it up to show it works properly. I will update the out come . Thanks for the help xxbenjamminxx

·
Registered
656 Posts
For $60 I would get it, but that filter is only for bio. You will need to run a separate filter for mechanical/chemical(if you use chemical/carbon) I've heard they clog quickly if you don't have a good mech. filter running, and I've also heard they are designed to only work with the eheim bio media(as opposed to ceramic rings), but I'm not sure how true that is.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah at the moment my 55 has two Hobs on it with two large 6+" jds in it. I saw the media price online and. Was thinking about it. I'm gonna play with the setup to see if it is possible to use other media. Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dj823cichild said:
Good Luck Flipper hope you get the deal you want
Thanks Dj823cichild
Ok I got the 2227 and it doesn't leak. Is of normal for it to stop pushing out water for about 20-30 seconds? It still runs an pulls in water. Then gets flowing 20-30 seconds later.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Does it do that constantly? Sometimes when they are priming and building up pressure the flow will be intermittent while it works the air out. That's my experience with cans anyways.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes its been running for 24hrs. I have watched the system do it over and over. It's a wet dry so I figure its normal. It's flows constantly but slows down for that 20-30 seconds. Then its full blast. All hoses unkinked and no slack. The air hose is above the water.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Tim that's what I figured it was doing. The air compartment has a sponge/nerf like thing in it and a o-ring on the bottom. Water rises in it and lifts up the nerf thing and plugs the hole up top. The water then comes shooting out the spray bar pretty fast and the water drains through the bottom of the air compartment. It repeated this process over and over. I figured it was right. I set it up full of water and all hoses primed.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Glad to see you got it. Is it silent still even with that gush of the air and water coming out of it from that chamber? The motor I mean, I realize you will hear the bubbles coming out.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah just like you said xxbenjamminxx, the motor is super quiet . You can still hear the trickle of water if the stand door is open but if its closed nothing at all. I actually removed the air pump due to the wet dry adding extra O2. It is quieter then the air pump. So all in all I'm happy. Oh and I had two large trays for this special media. I didn't buy the media I just put old gravel substrate in a nylon bag and a bunch of quilt batting in the other tray. Seems to be fine. No clogging I'm cheating on cycling . It just got added to the cycled tank and all will be well in a week or too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts