Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 15 gallon, that i took down a couple weeks ago, do to infection of micro organisms (green water) after cleaning it several times, and washing it out. Would this tank be good to use? Would be starting fresh with new water and such obviously, just wondering if i can use this 15 gallon, im trying to start a shellie tank.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Should be fine. If you want to fully sterilize it, you could use a little bleach. Fill it with water, add maybe 1/4 cup of bleach and let it sit overnight. Drain and rinse well and fill again. Add a double dose of dechlorinator and let it sit for a few hours. Rinse and should be ready to use. Just realize that if you'll need to cycle the tank again, assuming you've cleaned the filter like this also.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i went and bought a new filter, not trusting the old one. its a small tank so just bought a 20 gallon filter for 25$ for it. im going to start the cycle today or tommorrow, depending on if i bleach it. do you think its needed? it was weeks ago i took the water out. If it is, ill do it. I really don't want green water again.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
When in doubt, I bleach. But, still no guarantee that whatever triggered the algae bloom won't return. There was some condition that it liked. Try a change of lighting, making sure the tank doesn't get direct sunlight, and feed very sparingly. Go easy on sand depth, stir the sand occasionally, and vacuum out solids during water changes. And of course, don't overstock.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts