Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having doubts cause of his hump. But I bought him anyway cause he was unique.

The guy at the store might have just been lying to me.

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
Could be a male turning to adult colors. A male turns from yellow-orange to bluish purple, then continues to get darker and even mostly black with blue. Each male looks somewhat diffrent.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
How big is this fish?

Kim

·
Registered
107 Posts
cichlidaholic said:
How big is this fish?
Kim
That would be my question as well. I have a group, and this one doen't quite look right. I have one fully colored male that's nearly 5". I have another that has recently started to change that has a very distinct submarginal band, slightly blue face and blotchiness on the body. I've not seen a male yet with a hump.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I see Msobo - I don't have a clue what this "hump" everyone is referring to. Let me clarify, I know what the hump is suppsed to be, and I don't see one of any significance on this fish. I wouldn't worry for 3 seconds.

That is a Msobo

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Fogelhund said:
In my opinion, he is deformed.
I agree. There's more there than the typical "zebra" forehead.

Kim

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
Many Metriaclima can sometimes get sort of a forehead hump when larger. As said, this one's hump seems exaggerated, kinda deformed looking. I don't think that means some sort of weird hybrid, just that this one looks funny.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
It looks like a normal Msobo male colour transformation as far as that goes, but at 3 inches, I would expect some of the darker markings to show.

However, that can also depend on what else is in the tank with them...I don't find my Msobo male anywhere near as dominant as my other males or his own females!

Kim

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
That's why it sounds like a deformity rather than any crossbreeding. :thumb:

Basically, I just wouldn't use him for breeding, but he may be a nice fish otherwise.

Kim

·
Registered
620 Posts
Some of those pics look almost normal for head shape, but one of them made me immediately think of the "blue dolphin" hap, sorry I can;t remember scientific name.

I think that is the "hump" being referred to, and there is something else about overall body structure that looks too "streamlined" (tall and thick up fornt and then narrowing down) that makes me think it has some non-mbuna in it.

PRETTY fish though, fwiw.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts