Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is an odd question but does anyone know if that vicks vapor stuff you run in a humidifier could possibly cause fish to die? We have a little 2.5g tank in my 10 month old daughters room with 2 gold fish and a little algae eater and have had no problems whatsoever, then a few days ago she got sick so we started using vicks in her humidifier and now all three of her fish are dead. Could it of possibly settled in the water and poisoned her fish? I'm pretty upset about her fish dying, she loves her tank.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Is it an open top tank?
I would think that if there's somewhere for the air to settle on the water it could very well make the water toxic especially if it's a vapourizer or humidifier that outputs visible 'steam'.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's just a little kit that you can buy at any lfs, wal mart or the bigger chain pet stores. It's got a top on it and the only open spot on it is where the filter is at. It's just odd how they died a few days after we started using the vicks.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Any vapor in the air and be dissolved into your water, in my early days of fish keeping I made the mistake of using windex to clean my front glass once a week and I was very careful never to get any in or near the surface of the water, long story short I ended up losing every fish in the tank eventually because of this. So to me it is a very godd possibility that this could have happened.

·
Registered
584 Posts
How long have you had the fish? Frankly, 2 gold fish and an "algae eater" weren't destined for survival in that small of a tank anyway. Unfortunately, there is basically nothing that will survive to it's full lifespan in that, goldfish actually require a 75 gallon + due to their active nature.

It's possible it could have been the vapor, also possible that the fish just succumed to overcrowding, and the goldfishes incredible amount of waste. I would suggest restocking it with a male betta and nothing else. Betta's are actually best in 5+ (10-29 gallons is sweet for one betta), but 2.5 is livable.

Good luck!

John

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had the fish about 6-7 mos, they weren't very big but I know they didn't just up and die for no reason. All the fish in my house are very well taken care of. The tanks got a filter and heater
and stuff on it, not your normal plain old goldfish bowl, and my girlfriend kept 3 goldfish in it for a couple years and they're all over 4"-5" now and happy as ever in another tank. So I'm gonna take a wild guess and assume something happened.

·
Super Moderator
40,508 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss. I don't have any additional ideas on the Vicks. :(

If you go with goldfish again, from what I have read it is true that goldfish need 30G for each fish. So a 75G would be ideal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts