Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I was wondering whether using a Ehiem 2217 on a 15 gallon long(36" x 8" x 12") would be too much overkill? For one, I understand the current will be chaotic, and if the filter springs a leak, the tank would be drained in minutes. The filter, I take it, is 263 gal/hour.

But still....I'm curious :p

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh....darn! It's the only filter I currently have now......

EVen lengthening the spray bar two times will still have a brisk current......

If I were to keep anything in here...I guess it could be coldwater rift-dwelling fishes only?? :(

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
UGFs are really not so great. Why don't you just either go on CL and get a used Aquaclear 20 or 30 or just go to your LFS and grab one, they're usually under 40 bucks, even cheaper on CL

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
If the filter sits below the tank and the tank is on a 30" stand it probably has to pump up about 3 feet and then you might only get somewhere around 2300 gallon an hour and if you put the return in the corner so the water pressure can travel the whole 36" of the tank you'll be just fine. I read diving reports from Tanganyika and Malawi where the divers are saying that they have to hold on to rocks if they want to view fish or they get swept away in a second.

·
Registered
584 Posts
If it springs a leak, in any size tank that's a problem. Doesn't matter if it takes 2 minutes or 30 minutes, murphy's law says it will be whatever amount of time it is that you are away.

You can't really over-filter, but man, you can over-current! Can you image? Those fish will be pinned to the wall the entire time! IF the water doesn't splash out the sides! You'll have as much water in your filtration system as you do in the tank!

Reiner is right about current in some areas but still, those fish often find places to "hide" from the current, it won't happen in a tank!

For that small of a tank, filtration will be very inexpensive, probably less than the cost of the fish you might stock a 15 gallon tank with. Depending on how important aesthetics are in this tank, a sponge filter wouldn't be a bad idea either. I have a 29 gallon growout tank (sits on the floor, bare bottom), with a Tetra Whisper air pump I got for $20 (rated for 75 gallons, single air out), and a $6 sponge filter, rated for 55 gallons. Now, you know how those ratings go, it's probably (definitely) not an adequate setup for a 55 gallon tank, but it has done just fine for the past several months in this growout. Much easier to clean and maintain than any other type of filtration, if not for the way it looks in the tank it would be my preferred method of filtration overall.

Another BIG advantage of sponge filtration, is in the event of a power outage, you can preserve the integrity of the ENTIRE filtration system for that tank (if your using sponge filter exclusively), by using battery operated air pumps.

-John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts