Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I would like to know it my stock list is ok for my 95 gal tank.
By now I have the following fish:

6 Labidochromis caeruleus
3 Copadichromis borleyi
1 Dimidiochromis compressiceps
1 Aulonocara baenschi

and I'm planning to add 3 Nimbochromis venustus to close the bill.
They are all juveniles. The larger one is the A. baenschi measuring around 10cms.

Would it be ok? Would you remove or add something?

My tank is a 95gal (360litres) 5 feet long (150 x 60 x 40 cms)
Here is a picture of the layout:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

I don't have any plan nor room to upgrade to a 6ft tank.
Would you replace the venustus by something smaller in order to make room for the D. compressiceps and for the C. borleyis?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just a quick question. How much time would take to my D. compressiceps or the C. borleyi to outgrow my tank?
I've read that they grow quickly until around 15 cms and them slowdown until they reach adult size a few years later.

By the way, I'm thinking in replacing the 3 Nimbochromis venustus probably by 5 Pseudotropheus acei "msuli".

So, I would have 16 fish in 95 gals, as follows:

1 Dimidiochromis compressiceps: Max size 11"
3 Copadichromis borleyi (Kandango): Max size 8"
5 Pseudotropheus acei: Max size 6"
6 Labidochromis caeruleus (Nkhata bay): Max size 5"
1 Aulonocara baenschi: Max size 5"

This would make a total of 100" of adult fish in 95 gals, assuming that I will not remove any male in excess from the 3 groups.

I just took a look at your Cookie Cutter (Lake Malawi Haplochromine Aquarium) guide and according to it there is no problem in stocking a 75gal tank as follows:

5 Copadichromis azureus: Max size 7.5"
5 Protomelas taeniolatus: Max size 9"
5 Placidochromis phenochilus: Max sixe 10"
5 Otopharynx lithobates: Max size 5.5"

This would make a total of 160" of adult fish in 75 gals.

Note that the Cookie Cutter guide recommends a 10" fish for a 75 gals tank so it should not be a problem to put a 11" fish, the D. compressiceps, in my 95 gal tank.

·
Super Moderator
40,481 Posts
I agree with F8LBITEva and dielikemoviestars. The inch per gallon rule is obsolete and you've already got the Borleyi which are large fish in the tank.

Sounds like an interesting mix though. :thumb:

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
The cookie cutter is somewhat outdated... There are quite a few errors in there regarding Malawian cichlids... Not errors necessarily, but it recommends some mixes that most forum members disagree with.

The 1" per gallon rule is nonsense, especially with cichlids. It's just that the fish won't be comfortable turning and swimming around.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts