Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 55g with two eheim canister filters one is a 2234 and the other is a 2236, first question is is this enough filtration and second question is I have the intake for one on the right side of the tank with the exhaust on the left and the intake from the other on the left with the exhaust in the right, would this be the correct way to do it? I also have a surface skimmer on order that I will attach to one of them, I also am in the middle of cycling the tank and my question is that if I am usin ammo lock do I still need to do water changes every few days to keep the ammonia down or should I keep on using the ammo lock and let it do it's thing

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
If there are fish in the tank, then do both, use the Ammolock and do water changes to keep ammonia down to 1ppm or so. Limit feeding. Any detox has it's limitations. I've tested it to 3ppm and it works. That's as much as it claims to handle. Also, not raising pH any more than needed, and keeping the temp at the lower end of a good range will help to keep the free, toxic ammonia level down.

Filtration sounds like more than enough. I don't think there's a wrong way to do intakes/outflows, but I'd probably space both intakes toward the middle of the tank and put the returns up in the corners. But, not sure it'll make any difference in the long run.

The surface skimmer is a good idea. Also get a little ripple going with the returns.

HTH

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.