Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just removed the momma fish from the fry tank, and put her into one with some fry from an earlier batch (theyre now too big for her to eat, so no worries) and I just did a rough head count of the amount of fry she spit this time, and i counting between 90 and 98 each time. If the fry are moving around, i make a point not to count them, so I could easily have more than that...

She is a Taiwan Reef cichlid, and *** got about 90ish fry... *** never seen her spit more than 15... is this normal?

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Do you mean you have never seen her spit less than 15? That last comment threw me off. Haps spit large numbers of fry...larger than mbuna.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no, *** never seen her spit more than 15... first batch was 15, second was about 10, and the 3rd pne she didnt carry all the way... then this one is like 90... i didnt know if it was normal, or if its because this time i did almost everything i was supposed to do haha.

Im kinda excited that almost half of them are albinos too :) yayy

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Young mothers have smaller broods than full size mothers. It's pretty typical for a mom to spit larger broods after her 2nd or 3rd time. That being said, the jump from 15 to 90 is a huge one!
Congrats!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
haha thats what im sayin lol. Im quite excited :) and luckily enough, i think i have plenty of tanks for the time being... i think i will keep her seperated from the male for a while though ahha

1 - 6 of 6 Posts