Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The LFS is selling these as "blue line cichlid" for about 11 bucks. They appear to be Neolamprologus tetracanthus, however there is a stark difference in the dark outer fin color vs the yellow outer color I'm seeing in most pictures. And the body/spots seem slightly different color though the light is probably different. Any ideas? I'm looking for something to try and breed in a 29. these guys I have a feeling get quite big even though I don't know what they are. Hopefully going to find some smaller tang. options , but it's limited in my area

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
40,483 Posts
They look like Paracyprichromis Nigripinnis to me, except for tail which does look more like the tetracanthus. Why not ask the vendor to confirm the scientific name?

·
Registered
936 Posts
I have had tetracanthus at a young age, checked a photo in my files, it was a perfect match for these fish. I think the dorsal color changes as they get older, but those are definitely young Neolamprologus tetracanthus. I looked at some photos of the Paracyprichromis nigripinnis, and I cannot imagine any confusion between the two species.

·
Registered
503 Posts
DJRansome said:
They look like Paracyprichromis Nigripinnis to me...
Nope.

Mr Chromedome said:
...those are definitely young Neolamprologus tetracanthus...
Yup. Probably just a local variant with a bit more color. No way these are going to fit into a 29. :fish:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts