1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tank info:

- 60 gallon cycled mixed mbuna.
- 50% weekly water changes.
- 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 10 to 30 nitrate before I started to medicate the tank.

I decided to add a pleco and shortly noticed white spots only on the pleco. I then did a water change, added aquarium salt, lowered the level of water to create more surface agitation, and slowly raised the temp 1 degree per hour until I reached 86. I also started to do daily water changes of 50%. After a few days and no changes to the white spots I started to use Kordon Rapd Cure Ick Treatment. One drop per gallon after the daily water change. It has been about a week now and no changes to the white spots. Nothing else in the tank seems to have any white spots or eating issues. My cichlids leave the pleco alone but do not leave his food alone. They will devour an algae wafer even after they have already ate. Are the white spots ick, or something else?

Attachments

·
Registered
213 Posts
To be honest, I dont see the white spots? Pleco looks fine to me. Possibly having an acclimation issue? Most plecs prefer soft water, acidic, while your Mbuna should be in harder, more alkaline water. Try feeding at night, lights out while cichlids are dormant. If ich was in the water, all fish would have it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you click on the pic you will see the white spots all over him. Does not show up on the small image.

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
Are the spots raised? It is hard to see anything on a fish with spotted pigment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts