Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my young geos has a white spot on its head, it appeared yesterday. Is it ich?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
340 Posts
No doesn't look like it, I had it in a tank about 15 years ago - generally looks like small grains of salt and all over the fish not just one spot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
641 Posts
Abby said:
Do you have any idea what it could be?
Not from the picture. Is the spot raised and/or different texture from the surrounding area? If this is the only spot, and no other fish have it, then it could be natural and nothing to worry about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
shiftyfox said:
No doesn't look like it, I had it in a tank about 15 years ago - generally looks like small grains of salt and all over the fish not just one spot.
That's good to know, could it be damage of some kind? It's very round

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ken31cay said:
Abby said:
Do you have any idea what it could be?
Not from the picture. Is the spot raised and/or different texture from the surrounding area? If this is the only spot, and no other fish have it, then it could be natural and nothing to worry about.
I don't think it's raised and all other fish look fine, this one is behaving normally too. Managed to get a couple more pics but it's impossible to get a good one as it doesn't stop moving!



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The spot is now definitely raised and slightly larger and longer, I will try to get a photo. Could it be fungus? If so what is best way to treat it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
641 Posts
What are your water parameters - nitrate, nitrite, ammonia. I would keep nitrate below 10ppm by doing extra water changes and keeping filter media more clean. If that doesn't help then I would add table salt to the tank 1 tablespoon per ten gallons of water for 5-7 days and look for improvement in the fish. If the affected area is indeed fungus and worsens or spreads to other fish then I would treat with Kanaplex as a last option after first doing the above.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ken31cay said:
What are your water parameters - nitrate, nitrite, ammonia. I would keep nitrate below 10ppm by doing extra water changes and keeping filter media more clean. If that doesn't help then I would add table salt to the tank 1 tablespoon per ten gallons of water for 5-7 days and look for improvement in the fish. If the affected area is indeed fungus and worsens or spreads to other fish then I would treat with Kanaplex as a last option after first doing the above.
Nitrite & ammonia 0, nitrate either 10 or 20 (I can never tell the difference) . Will salt damage plants?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
641 Posts
Yes, so I would skip that suggestion.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top