Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my young geos has a white spot on its head, it appeared yesterday. Is it ich?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
340 Posts
No doesn't look like it, I had it in a tank about 15 years ago - generally looks like small grains of salt and all over the fish not just one spot.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Abby said:
Do you have any idea what it could be?
Not from the picture. Is the spot raised and/or different texture from the surrounding area? If this is the only spot, and no other fish have it, then it could be natural and nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
shiftyfox said:
No doesn't look like it, I had it in a tank about 15 years ago - generally looks like small grains of salt and all over the fish not just one spot.
That's good to know, could it be damage of some kind? It's very round

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ken31cay said:
Abby said:
Do you have any idea what it could be?
Not from the picture. Is the spot raised and/or different texture from the surrounding area? If this is the only spot, and no other fish have it, then it could be natural and nothing to worry about.
I don't think it's raised and all other fish look fine, this one is behaving normally too. Managed to get a couple more pics but it's impossible to get a good one as it doesn't stop moving!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The spot is now definitely raised and slightly larger and longer, I will try to get a photo. Could it be fungus? If so what is best way to treat it?

·
Registered
641 Posts
What are your water parameters - nitrate, nitrite, ammonia. I would keep nitrate below 10ppm by doing extra water changes and keeping filter media more clean. If that doesn't help then I would add table salt to the tank 1 tablespoon per ten gallons of water for 5-7 days and look for improvement in the fish. If the affected area is indeed fungus and worsens or spreads to other fish then I would treat with Kanaplex as a last option after first doing the above.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ken31cay said:
What are your water parameters - nitrate, nitrite, ammonia. I would keep nitrate below 10ppm by doing extra water changes and keeping filter media more clean. If that doesn't help then I would add table salt to the tank 1 tablespoon per ten gallons of water for 5-7 days and look for improvement in the fish. If the affected area is indeed fungus and worsens or spreads to other fish then I would treat with Kanaplex as a last option after first doing the above.
Nitrite & ammonia 0, nitrate either 10 or 20 (I can never tell the difference) . Will salt damage plants?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Yes, so I would skip that suggestion.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.