Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

There is a large patch of white near the eyes to dorsal fin area - he's eating normally, and I just noticed this about 2 days ago although it could have been going on longer. Breathing looks labored. I have not seen any other fish in my tank affected.

If it is ich, should I move him into his own tank and start some sort of treatment?

Are my other Acei's and electric yellows and blue dolphins potentially affected?

I always keep the water at 80.0 F to 80.5 F and use cichlid salt with weekly 75% water changes.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
No, it's not ich, but that fish is very sick. How long have the fins been in rough shape?

My guess is that first, he's been picked on by the other fish, and the stress and injuries from that have caused infection. He should be removed from the tank in order to have a chance to heal and to limit the spread of diesase. Your other fish have already been exposed to what looks like a fungal infection, so I recommend treating the whole tank as well as the quarantined sick fish.

What size tank is this? How much salt do you add? What are your water quality parameters (pH, NO3, NO2, NH3)? How many fish are in the tank, and what do you have for filtration? Chances are this fish is sick because of stress, but I want to make sure we look at the other potential causes for disease.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think his fins have been that way maybe for only 2 days.
This is a 150 gallon tank with 1 FX5 and 3 AC 110s. I have about 10 adult acei and 10 of these juveniles (1-1.5 inch). I also have about 5 Electric yellow adults and 50 electric yellow juveniles. There are another 10 blue dolphins and 1 cobalt blue zebra. Tons of rock work via cichlid stones (about 5 sets of the 15 pack I have in the tank) Everyone has gotten along for the most part.

I add the recommended mix for cichlid salt from seachem for the malawi lake level (1.5 TBSP per 10 gallon). PH is 7.8 ammonia 0ppm, nitrite 0ppm nitrate 60-80ppm

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Water parameters sound good, but I'd try to get those nitrates down closer to 20ppm. I know you are changing a lot of water weekly, but it isn't enough to compensate for your stocking/feeding levels. Try cleaning your AC filter pads midweek, or vacuuming substrate more thoroughly when you do your water changes. Cleaner water will help fight the spread of any disease.

Chances are this fish took a beating, and won't recover if left in the tank. What we're seeing in the picture could simply be open wounds- hard to tell, but it's definitely not ich- yet. When you look at the fish again, look for any fuzziness or redness, swelling around the affected areas. If not, then perhaps you won't need to treat the big tank with anything other than clean water and perhaps some Melafix.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice!

I'll look to do more detailed cleaning in addition to the water changes that I've been doing every week. This tank is established for about 14 months now. I'm looking to get another 120 gallon to move some of these guys into their own tank to reduce the stock levels in my main tank but that can't happen for another 4 months as I'm in the processing of moving to another home.

Should I remove this injured guy and use Melafix or dose the whole 150 gallon tank?
Do you still believe this could be a fungal infection which puts my other fish at risk?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts