Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys;

I've been out for 3 days on a family trip, and came back home yesterday; today I noticed 2 of my albino greshakeis are really skinny! Don't know if it's just lack of food or if this is a disease!

My tank is an 80 gallon, mbunas only;

Water chemistry as of today:

pH 8.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10 - 20
GH and KH wasn't measured today, but normally GH is 8 and KH is 6;

40 to 50% Water changes every 2 weeks, sometimes I take a little longer, depending on the nitrates levels; (my nitrates never got higher than 20, and that's the main reason I allow myself to do less often Water changes)

These 2 little fellas are the most harassed of the group; they are constantly being chased, and their fins are usually a little nipped; but nothing more than that until today;

It's been 3 months since I only feed them NLS sinking pellets; I fed them right before leaving for work, and they are still eating like crazy, but their body looks deformed!

Took some pictures to help me describe it; they are lousy, but should help you out:

Any ideas?

·
Registered
41 Posts
nothing I know...just want to say something about your water changes, 40-50% will be too much of a shock for fish to have half of their tank water completely changed suddenly. You'd best be doin 20% every week or second week. As for your nitrates...it should really be below 5-10ppm
and doing partial (10-20%) water changes every other day will get it down for ya. I hope someone else can offer advice about your fish.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
lovethatcichlid said:
nothing I know...just want to say something about your water changes, 40-50% will be too much of a shock for fish to have half of their tank water completely changed suddenly. You'd best be doin 20% every week or second week. As for your nitrates...it should really be below 5-10ppm
and doing partial (10-20%) water changes every other day will get it down for ya. I hope someone else can offer advice about your fish.
Completely untrue, 50% water changes bi-weekly or even weekly is the norm for mbuna. Also, there's nothing wrong with 20ppm nitrates, 5-10 would be better but acceptable levels would be up to ~40ppm.
As far as your sunken bellies go Franceschi, are there any other symptoms? Red inflamed gills? Flashing, rubbing on rocks/substrate, staying up top? Check the anus on all fish, and observe until you see at least 2 poop, take note of anything odd looking.
Anyway, sounds like bacterial infection or internal parasite. If they're eating well, feed them metronidazole soaked food.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts