Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 90 gallon tank. Will be adding 30ish mbuna when I order (1-2 months) Want to get my 2nd filter (new today) full of bacteria. I have two Emperor 400's. They are each rated up to 400 gallons per hour, so a total of 800 gallons per hour on a 90 gallon. Will this be enough with once weekly 50% water changes?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Plenty. Although 30 sounds like a lot of mbuna for a 4' tank. Are you starting with juveniles and weeding out extra males?

(And you're a star if you do weekly 50% changes!)

kevin

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Assuming the fish will be fairly small when ordered that should work. Much will depend on the way you operate and what size they are. If you feed heavy and slack off on water changes it could become a problem as they grow. I would suggest starting with it and testing and watching how your water goes. Weekly 50% would be more than I would do for reasonable size fish(less than 4 inch) Many will tell you you need more but for me I like to see if it works and adjust if it doesn't. You won't suddenly wake up one morning with a crisis. If it develops, it will be a gradual increase in the nitrate and you will need to do more and more water changes until it begins to have nitrite problems at which you will have waited too long. With reasonable care and watching you can certainly get another filter before harm is done.

You will have the filters up and fully cycled first?
My motto-- If it works, it works, if not change it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes, I plan on buying juvvies and weeding out extra males...figured starting with more and weeding out as aggression occurs would be best. . I do 50% changes by habit...though sometimes it does happen every 1.5 weeks. My mom gave me my 2nd filter for my birthday today so I'm excited to get rid of my sponge filter and have two nice filters!b And now I'm babbling, so I'll stop now

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Sounds like a great plan.

Just be prepared to NOT want to send fish away.

I have 45 fish (incl cats & loaches) in my 125. I should be closer to 36.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts