Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently took a walk through the Colorado Rockies with my backpack and after several trips, I had a good amount of stone from local streams to use in my Malawi tank. I started to clean them the other day with this process:
1. scrub the rocks with a stiff bristled brush and cold water
2. soaked them in boiling water for a while
3. took them out and dowsed them in hydrogen peroxide where some bubbled a bit and some did not.
4. rinsed them in cold water

I am ready to put them in my tank now but I am wondering if since they bubbled, i need to clean more thourough??? Thoughts???

·
Registered
625 Posts
I would have stopped after boiling them. They should definitely be fish safe.

·
Registered
355 Posts
blackice87 said:
Boiling water + Rocks = BOOM!
Not sure what kind of rocks your boiling but this has never happened to me and I've boiled a lot of rocks. I try to find petrified wood though as it's my favorite.

·
Registered
625 Posts
It's never happened to me, but I've heard tale that porous rock with air trapped inside can explode because the air inside expands when the boiling water heats it up.

This has never once happened to me and I'm only speculating as to what blackice87 meant.

·
Registered
656 Posts
They usually only go "BOOM" if you drop them into cold water while still hot. I usually let them sit overnight in tap water, then give them a scrub with a bristle brush and pour boiling water on them and done.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Anything that comes out of water, especially that fish live in, I treat with a strong bleach solution. It makes removal of any organic materials attached to the rock easier.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I just soaked mine in the tub for a few hours, then scrubbed them off a little more and put them in. Some may say better safe than sorry but mine were fine. I just collect mine from clean areas, where theyre less likely to come in contact with toxins or pollutants.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts