Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a good deal on a 125 gallon. 6 foot tank, stand, glass covers, one 48" and one 36" light along with a rena canister filter, an emperor 400 and 280. I know what everything is, except the rena canister. At first look I thought it was an XP2, because I have an XP2 and they are the same size. I measured to confirm this. They both have 2 media baskets as well.

Everything is pointing at this being an XP2, but when I was examining the new unit my brother pointed out that the manufacturing label on the canister said XP3. So now I'm confused. Was there possibly a smaller XP3 in the past? It says XP3 28W. My XP2 says XP2 23W.

·
Super Moderator
1,840 Posts
I think the canisters are the same diameter so it's possible someone just put an XP3 pump head on an XP2 body.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quite possible my friend!

·
Registered
220 Posts
An Xp 2 has 2 baskets and an Xp 3 has 3 baskets for media. Be careful about the increased pump pressue in a canister that is not intended to handle it. It could slightly bow the plastic causing the filter to push water out around the top seal.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sjnovakovich said:
An Xp 2 has 2 baskets and an Xp 3 has 3 baskets for media. Be careful about the increased pump pressue in a canister that is not intended to handle it. It could slightly bow the plastic causing the filter to push water out around the top seal.
Do you know from experience or are you just playing devils advocate? Guy had it running up until yesterday so I'm not really worried about it. It's only an extra 50gph, hardly enough pressure increase to blow anything up IMO. I think the extra rating on the xp3 comes more from the increased bio capacity and not the increased water flow.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Not sure what exactly is happening inside the motor housing (never taken one apart or counted the motor windings etc...) but xP3 has larger blades on the impeller and xP3 is rated at a higher consumption of watts...leading me to believe that it has a more powerful motor than an xP2.... both are identical dimensionally and latch/seal perfectly.... I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about it tho :thumb:

·
Registered
509 Posts
When you are talking about water and how much pressure it takes to move it vertically a foot you are only talking about 0.44 psi per foot.

I wouldn't worry about it compared to how much weight the plastic canister must support that is full of water, media, and has a big heavy pump resting on it acting as a lid.

edit: And yes the pump intake is on top of the canister so the canister body itself actually sees the lowest pressure in the system if you define the "system" as the canister only.

·
Registered
220 Posts
RRasco said:
sjnovakovich said:
Do you know from experience or are you just playing devils advocate? Guy had it running up until yesterday so I'm not really worried about it. It's only an extra 50gph, hardly enough pressure increase to blow anything up IMO. I think the extra rating on the xp3 comes more from the increased bio capacity and not the increased water flow.
Experience -- I have several different Renas and I inadvertantly put a 4 top on a 2 canister when setting up a new tank. Next morning, I had about 15 gallons of water all over the floor. I also had an instance where the valve on the pump wasn't pushed all the way down and that caused the filter to leak also. Be careful out there!

·
Registered
355 Posts
In theory you would think the XP2 canister body would actually be stronger than the XP3 because of the 2's shorter height there for less chance of the canister body being able to bow or warp etc etc. This is just my theory but I would think it would make sense. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts