Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was at a LFS today and noticed a nice looking fish labeled "Turquoise Severum" for $7. Little guy's about 3" not including tail & very shy. Looked fairly healthy but what interested me were the red markings along the edge of his (?) gill plate - so I'm thinking is this actually a rotkiel that's been mislabeled? I know in the same store they had A. goldsaum labeled as rivulatus so it wasn't a big stretch to think they've got him wrong as well...

Next question - at this size how cooperative would he be in a planted tank for a month and a half until I can get my 5' tank set up? it's a 3' 30gal heavily planted or I could set up a 2' 20gal for him alone, bare bottom etc though this isn't actually a reasonable thing to do as I'm leaving for Europe and for a while and my mom will be watching all my fish for me until June... so working him into my current tank would be ideal. (Alternatively, I can move my plants into another tank for the time being as they wouldn't need water changes all that much... so I guess there are other options here...

(oops, forgot the pic!)

sorry about quality, tank was not well lit and it took a long time waiting for him to move towards the front of the tank for the shot anyway, very shy fish at the moment...

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I'm leaving for Europe and for a while and my mom will be watching all my fish for me until June...
This is the bit that concerns me, not the idea of a 3 inch severum going into a 3 foot tank for a couple of months. It sounds like your going for atleast a month or longer.

Is your mum going to doing water changes while your away? and not just feeding your fish.

Also what else is in your 30 gallon tank?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll be gone for 6 weeks. She has a turtle and sort of knows her way around aquariums & knows the importance of regular water changes. Before I leave I'll make sure she knows everything about the tank with a detailed maintenance schedule outlining feeding (as light as is reasonable to minimize problems), ferts, water changes (frequent and small, test water for nitrates), etc.)

The other fish are a pair of Bolivian rams, about 7 or so large emperor tetras, medium sized bn plecos, 1.5"+ corys & some 1" ottos - so mostly cleanup crew as well, & no small fish to be eaten. I will be doing some creative scaping to make sure the rams get one half and the sev gets the other - I'm not going to be there so it doesn't have to look nice :lol:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
brought him home with me today, he's going to be a stunner once he gets bigger than 2-3" :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts