Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold this fish as a Jaguar cichlid (which is what i bought it as 18 months ago) to a guy and a week later he starts complaining that his fish encyclopedia says it's a Dows cichlid & not a Jaguar Cichlid.

I personally think it is a jag as everytime i do a Google on Dows & Jaguar mine looks like the Jaguar every time, but here are the pics - what do you guys think?

Is this fish a Jaguar or a Dows?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I've never heard of a Dow's cichlid, but according to google it's a dovii. Your fish is definitely a jag.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks, I think the guy was just trying to get one over on me but i bought it as a jag & sold it as a jag.

What is more valuable or rare a Dows (dovii) or a jag???

I've heard that dovii are very nasty and grow bigger but the jag wasn't far behind with the nastiness!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Both species can get pretty nasty, depending on the individual. And both are very large. You are right though. Most of the time P. dovii is more aggresive than P. managuensis. And dovii are larger. Neither is very rare or valuable. But both are awesome fish!!

My little P. managuensis

My female P. loisellei

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.