Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to figure out if she' settling in..

Well I finally received my brother's Pike Cichlid.

Here's what she looks like. Hopefully you have access

http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/j...ike%20Cichlid/

I received her Sunday afternoon. Got her in the tank and made her a temp shelter so she can hide. Used the bid driftwood and she slide right underneath it.

Before going to work Monday morning, I noticed she had completely re-arranged the Pool Filter Sand to her liking, wow did she ever move the sand. Would this be considered a good sign of her starting to settlle in?

Her colors are not back yet from what I can tell. Is it possible it may take her several weeks for her to become confortable and easting ?

I also recieived a Pleco which I plan on getting ride of. Don't like them at all

My wife mentioned she wanted colors in the tank. OK. Decorations, Fish... what? I dunno just colors.. sheesh.... So I have to work on that.. Any suggestions to build a suitable bottom for the Pike? if you can provide pictures it would help

Tank mates? Is there any suitable type of fish I can add without them being harmed? My borther told me she quite docile. Maybe a male C. Anthurus?

Her former tank mates were, an Oscar 6", GT 6.5" and the current pleco.
Since my brother had her, she kept to herself and was not bothered by the others.

Now it's only her and the Pleco. I wonder if she will ever come out to swim around I believe the Pleco ate the algea and Vegie waffers. I added a few some pellets for the Pike. But she didn bite.

What do you think? I know all Pikes are different, but based on your experience, when can I expect for her to be settled in?

Just need to do a rockscape... some black granite and slate maybe and ideas? pics?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Tuesday's update:

The Pike & Pleco are still alive. I tested my water for PH. Tank and tap are both at 8.0

I hate my city.. What the **** happened.. It was always 7.4. Why 8.0 now!

I had thought the drifwood my brother gave me would lower the PH. but it didn't. Water is still crystal clear no tannis. So I guess it's a big decoration piece now. For now I added some PH down till more of a permanent solution is in place to achieve a desirable PH level.. Can't afford an RO unit right now. I need to bring the PH from 8.0 down to 7.0 somehow... but then I read some folks have raised Pikes in a PH of 8.2 and we're fine with beautiful colors.. Hoping the city would lower the PH back down to normal soon..

I need to test for KH/GH as well, I purchased a kit, but didn't get a chance to use it..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wednesday update:

Looks like the Pleco is eating. good to know.

The Pike though is another thing. Last night before going to bed I dropped 12 Rosie Reds for her to snack on. This morning before leaving for work I looked oved in hoping she ate.. Pffft!!
Not one Rosie Red was touched... I thought by giving her some snacking items she would come around..

My brother did say it will take time for her to come around..
Like I had mentioned, i have only a large piece of driftwood in the tank. Maybe it's not enough structure her the Pike to hide behind to hunt. i don;t know..

I'm hoping someone can chime in and comment based on their experiences of what's happening..

·
Registered
481 Posts
Pikes are interesting characters, some are outgoing and even down right beligerent, others, very meek and everything in between. I can't see the photo, and, have no idea of her size, so, Rosie Reds may not fit the bill for feeding. What was her main diet when she was with your brother? Earthworms or pieces of worm are a great food to get pikes eating. I have had a lot of picky pikes get started with worms and then convert to eat everything. Keep trying and let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She ate Pellets, I gave her the same ones. she was fed Feeders, and Freeze dried Krill or Shrimp. She's now in a Algea free home..

Here's a pic of her 6 months ago.
She's about 6 " in size

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thrusday:

To confirm in the past she ate Pellets, Feeders, and Freeze dried Krill or Shrimp.

So far she hasn't eaten since I received her..

·
Registered
481 Posts
SOUPNAZZI said:
Thrusday:

To confirm in the past she ate Pellets, Feeders, and Freeze dried Krill or Shrimp.

So far she hasn't eaten since I received her..
give her some time and keep the water quality up, she is probably nibbling at the food when you aren't watching. . . Pikes won't usually starve themselves on purpose.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I used the API GH/KH test kit to test

Tap:
PH 8.0
kh: 8 drops = 143.2 ppm
GH: 9 drops = 161.1 ppm

Tank:

PH 8.0
kh: 7 drops = 125.3ppm